Framed at last!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Framed at last!!

The Infantry Regiments of 1914, still haven't got the left hand flag of the Inniskilling Fusiliers, but if I hadn't done this they would have laid in a box until I went to mine. Not for the purists I know, but some of the Victorian era badges are as rare as rocking horse excrement.
    I also bought a box of riker mounts which I've filled. I need a few more, is there anyone in the Plymouth area that would go 50 - 50 on a box with me?
    Must improve my flash photography, if I can take better in natural light I'll post them.
    Attached Files

Oodles of room left in there Jim. You could but some cavalry and (Great War) corps stuff in there too. Oh, and get that frame stained & oiled!

Comment

Great job, Jim!! Will it be displayed flat, or hang on a wall? (or are you just going to sleep with it?)

Comment

The frame is straight from the local Focus DIY, ready varnished. Could do with stripping and darkening I agree. As for filling the spaces I was thinking more along the lines of qualification badges, wound badges etc and keeping it infantry(ish). Still a few shy on the cavalry for a coherent display.

Originally posted by Tony Farrell
        Oodles of room left in there Jim. You could but some cavalry and (Great War) corps stuff in there too. Oh, and get that frame stained & oiled!
        Geoff,
        Sleeping with it was hard on the knees, so now it's up on the wall out of harm's (and temptation's) way.

Comment

Very nice Jim ,I have often thought about doing the same sort of thing ,but I cant quite tell my restrikes from originals .Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Rather nice, I've always gone for the idea of displaying a straight run of infantry badges rather than segregating into WWI, WWII etc. That probably explains why they're still not mounted properly, & there are big gaps between the ones I've got, to be filled by missing variations (Suffolks with twigs, Suffolks without twigs, Essex with twigs, Essex without twigs, A&SH cat facing forward, facing left, angry cat, contented cat, fat cat, thin cat, KOSB long towers, KOSB short towers, ad nauseum.
            Am I a little too anal about this?
            I would'nt add any more badges to the display, they look good as they are, & they're themed.
            How'd you get the spacing between the badges & the glass? Have you inserted spacers or does the frame come with a "gap".
            Looks like I need to buy a few of these Focus frames, a damned attractive display.

Comment

Very nice Jim

Comment

The whole frame is 60 x 80 cm, the only card I could get was picture mount, well long enough but a couple of mm short in the width. I then framed this with 10mm x 25mm stripwood, which allows you to gain the few mm needed overlapping the short dimension. I then put some 6mm stripwood on the back side to allow space for the sliders and lugs.

I then cut the holes for the badges, lugs are no problem but with badges that have sliders I found it best to cut a slot as wide as the slider and half the length. Otherwise you have to unduly bend the slider to get it through. A sharp wood chisel takes a lot of the work out of it, a craft knife is hard going. I then covered the card with really naff velour curtain material gently easing the edges over the battenso there weren't any sharp creases. I used PVA for all the gluing, it goes off in a few minutes.

To mount the badges just cut through the material with a craft knife where the slider or lug going and mount the badge. One problem I found doing this once before was that with slider type badges because of necessity they must tilt when being mounted they tend to dig into the backing material. I overcame this by cutting a piece of drink can about 2" x 3". when the slider is started slip the shim under the edge of the badge and slide the down into position. No damage.

The frames themselves have a rebate depth of about 25mm and I've managed to frame bayonets in them with no hassle. I'm struggling with bayos with frogs and knots though that will take some jiggery pokery.

Thanks for volunteering a thread on Infantry badge variation, should be most interesting, I've a few myself

The bayos:- l - r Pack, WKC, Puma, Tiger.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jim,
                  super display thanks for showing.
                  Ashley

Comment

Hey Jim,

Thanks for sharing the display with us, looks great
                    Regards
                    Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Great displays Jim!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X