Cap Badge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap Badge??

This cap badge was left to my girlfriend by her mother. Her mother received it as a gift it during WW2. A friend told me it's a cap badge from the Royal regiment of Artillery. It's in mint condition much better than the scan (my first attempt at scanning a badge). Any info would be helpful......Thanks in advance.....

cap badge.........
    Attached Files

Comment

Unusual, is this chrome or nickel plated? I'm assuming this is the full size badge approx 2.5 inches across the motto.

Comment

Hi Andy,

The only thing I can add to what you already know is that the white metal version you have was used by Territorial forces while the brass / gold color was for regular army Royal Artillery men with bronze being for officers. The white metal ones are not as common. It's also kinda' neat to find one with a rotating wheel.

Tim

Comment

Jim it is exactly 2.5 inches in width, and the finish is a very bright silver. As far as being unusual goes i wouldn't have a clue mate. This badge is far from my collecting interests....

Comment

Badges that would not have the the 'UBIQUE' motto, my reason for asking.

Originally posted by Tim L.
            Hi Andy,

The only thing I can add to what you already know is that the white metal version you have was used by Territorial forces while the brass / gold color was for regular army Royal Artillery men with bronze being for officers. The white metal ones are not as common. It's also kinda' neat to find one with a rotating wheel.

Tim

Comment

Sorry but i don't understand your question.....
              Originally posted by Jim Maclean

Comment

Hi Jim,

Here's a Territorial badge I have without the "UBIQUE" . According to John Gaylor's book "Military Badge Collecting", pg. 99, the "UBIQUE" was added to the w/m Territorial badges in 1917.

Tim
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy,

The "UBIQUE" issue is that some Territorial and war raised units were not considered, how should I put this, full members of the club. A lot of British badges have battle honors incorporated into their design and newly raised units or Territorial units that did not share their parent regiment's glorious history were not entitled to have those battle honors on their badge. That's why the Territorial badge I posted has a sprig of leaves in place of the word "UBIQUE". It's my understanding that the word "UBIQUE" was added to Territorial badges in 1917. Hence if yours is from WWII that would make sense.

On the other hand, it could also be some sort of badge for a dress uniform or something like that from the "regular" RA. The variations in the metals cap badges are made out of can be many. There are "economy" versions made out of cheap metal or even bakelite, officers, other ranks, etc.

Tim
                  Last edited by Tim L.; 09-14-2004, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Andy,
                    When I say unusual I mean undocumented. It is possible that this is an officers silver private purchase article, are there any hallmarks on the back?

Tim, Gaylor refers to the badge with the spray of laurels as having been issued in white metal, not the badge with full honours.

As I said interesting badge.

Comment

Tim, Gaylor refers to the badge with the spray of laurels as having been issued in white metal, not the badge with full honours.
                      That's not the way I read it. Maybe it's just the way he worded it that's confusing (to me?).

"Territorial gunners wore the badge but the Ubique scroll carried a spray of laurel until 1917 when the Regular honour was granted to Territorial Force Artillery. The latter badge appeared in w/m and also in brass whereas the earlier Volunteer Force badge, worn 1902-1908, was only issued in w/m with "Volunteers" on the Ubique scroll.".

Comment

Gaylor can be confusing and that particular portion is very ambiguous.
                        Kipling and King make no mention of a white metal badge with Ubique on.

Comment

I always thought that the white metal badges went out with the formation of the TF in 1908 or not too long after.

Is the badge in the first posting chromed or plated with white metal, perhaps for use by the band?

This happened with some units such as the Royal Engineers & K & K show or mention the fleur de lis badge of the 7th Ardwick Bn of the Manchesters as having their badges chromed for presentation of colours in the 60's (think I've got those details re the Manchesters right).

Comment

I really need to get a copy of K&K but I haven't hit the lottery yet

In that case I'd bet it is a musician's badge.

Tim
                            Last edited by Tim L.; 09-14-2004, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I told you these guys would know what it is Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X