demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another identified Red Beret from Market Garden, finally found it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another identified Red Beret from Market Garden, finally found it.

Although I have previously mentioned this beret, and promised to show it here, it took this long for me to find it.
    Finally had to go through my boxes because we will be holding an airborne exposition next week. Main emphasis will be on the 82nd but there are naturally British "Arnhem" items on display too.

Anyway, this beret belonged to the 19 year old Sgt. Llewelyn E. Williams of B-Squadron, the Glider Pilot Regiment. He died on September 18th.
    Sgt. Williams died of wounds in the house (Wolfheze) owned the people of whom I received this beret from. They were present when Sgt. Williams died. His body was taken away by British medical personel for burial. Unfortunately Sgt. Williams has been missing in action ever since. It is possible that he is buried on the Oosterbeek War Cemetery as an Unknown. Wherever he is, may he rest in peace.

For those in the area around this time and interested in the exhibition. It will be held in a building called 't Zwaantje, which is between Groesbeek and Mook which is in the 82nd area.
    It will be opened on Wednesday the 15th because of a large group of British MG veterans. "Official" opening will be on Friday 17th and will stop on Sunday 19th.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ben; 09-12-2004, 02:27 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Ben:

Remarkable item and interesting history behind it! I love that beret badge .

Best,
            John

Comment

Another Battle of Arnhem treasure

Congratulations on owning this beautiful beret Ben

May the poor lad rest in peace

Comment

How do you know the exact name of the person, when it is not written anywhere? Great piece!!
                JL

Comment

Hi JL,

because Sgt. Williams died of wounds after several hours and did speak with the owners of the house before he did. He was not killed outright. They remembered him and the situation very well, almost as if it had happened yesterday.
                  It also took several hours before the body was removed by British troops, not exactly an event one will ever forget.

Comment

Fascinating story and beret, Ben. You are really the history "master" of this area. I will be attending an annnual 325th GIR reunion in a couple weeks to try and find out some more about my g-uncle you helped me with. I am planning on trying to do some video taping while there. If I find anything out interesting about my g-uncle, I will let you know. Hope to hear from you again once things settle down for you after the exhibition and the move. Thanks again, and another great piece of history you have been able to share with the rest of us.

Brian
                    Brian Dentino

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WWII GLIDER INFO/ITEMS...ESPECIALLY 325TH GIR

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X