Great War diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great War diary

Hello,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

I have just picked up a Great War soldier’s diary for 3 Euros at a market here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1lace>Germany</st1lace></st1:country-region>. The diary belonged to Pte. Sidney Dore and is filled out in English until <st1:date Month="7" Day="1" Year="1916">July 1<SUP>st</SUP> 1916</st1:date>, after that there are a few entries in German but nothing of interest.

According to the CWGC site, Sidney Dore of the 1/7 Sherwood Foresters was killed on the first day of the Somme but the Regimental numbers in the diary and on the site are different. The diary has 3895 Pte. Dore and the CWGC has 266255. See below

Name: DORE, <st1:City><st1lace>SIDNEY</st1lace></st1:City>
    Initials: S
    Nationality: <st1:country-region><st1lace>United Kingdom</st1lace></st1:country-region>
    Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and <st1:City><st1lace>Derby</st1lace></st1:City> Regt.)
    Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.
    Date of Death: <st1:date Month="7" Day="1" Year="1916">01/07/1916</st1:date>
    Service No: 266255
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 C 10 D and 11 A

Is it just a big coincidence that 2 Sidney Dore’s were in the same unit and the entries in the diary stop on <st1:date Month="7" Day="1" Year="1916">July 1<SUP>st</SUP> 1916</st1:date>?

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

By the way, I’ve bought “The Researcher’s Guide to the Great War” but had it delivered to my mum’s and I won’t be back home for a couple of weeks.

Tony<o></o>
    Last edited by ynot; 09-12-2004, 07:46 AM.

Sidney Dore's details
    Attached Files

Comment

Extract from April 1916
      Attached Files

Comment

Diary extract from June 1916
        Attached Files

Comment

Last entry.

I'm a bit excited about the diary and haven't looked through all of it yet. I haven't even looked up where in France any of the place names are.

Tony
          Attached Files

Comment

It could very well be the same man, many had more than one number during their service, some were even changed after a mans death.

Appendix 207 of ACI 2414 shows the new number block issued to 7th Notts & Derby's in 1917 - 265001 - 305000, so that probably accounts for the new number for your man.

Comment

Soldiers Died shows one soldier in 1/7 Notts & Derby by the name of Dore killed:

Sidney Dore,

Enlisted Sneiton, Nortts,
              Died 01/07/16,
              Killed in Action,
              France & Flanders,
              Number: 266255.

In fact, he's shown as the only soldier named Dore in the entire regiment who died in WWI.

1/7th (Robin Hood) Bn (TF) were part of 139 Bde, 46 (North Midland) Div, they moved forward from Fonquevillers to attack Gommecourt on 1st July, on the left of their brigade.
              They were soon swept by heavy machine gun fire & the leading waves driven back.
              Casualties given in the Official History of The Great War as 409 out of an attacking force of 536.
              Withdrew to Bienvillers area.
              Arrived 3rd Army Training Area (St. Riquier) beginning of November.
              ("British Battalions on The Somme", Ray Westlake, published by Leo Cooper in 1994).

Martin Middlebrook's First Day of The Somme has a fair mention of the battalion I think, but can't locate it at the moment.
              Last edited by leigh kitchen; 09-12-2004, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Lovely little book, I'dve loved to have got my hands on this.
                Any chance it'll appear on the e-tables?

Comment

Thanks Leigh,

I think it is a fantastic piece of history and am glad I spotted it this morning. I suppose a German took it from his pocket and kept it.

I think this is something I will never ever sell but I can post or send you some extracts from it. I like the bit about the church parade and then having a bath before the bayonets were sharpened.

Tony

Comment

Hello Leigh,

I've just found on the medal index site that 3895 Pte. Dore and 266255 Pte. Dore really are the same person.

Tony
                    Last edited by ynot; 09-12-2004, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Nice find Tony

Eric.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X