Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who else has any of these to show?

Comment

I remember my mother talking about POW's that worked for a local lumber company near Bancroft Ontario Canada. She said they would bring the pows into town on a Friday night where the pows would be just let out of the back of the truck and told to be back at the pick-up spot at a certain time. The pows would go to the local restaurant and buy their tobacco and have a meal then go up to the building beside the United Church and go to the Friday night dance. A lot of the young guys in town were gellous of the German guys because all the girls like to dance with them. Mother said boy could those German guys dance. Then at the appointed time they would gather at the pick-up spot and await the truck to take them back to the lumber camp. She said they never had one of the pows try to escape, actually a lot of the pows wanted to stay here rather than be shipped back home to Germany

Comment

Quite interesting, and, Where would they actually run away to after the US came into the war? I have watched "The one that got away" and that was quite interesting when you think about the terrain and Climate an escapee would have to deal with! When you look at some of the reports the Germans put out about how disgusted they were with the behavior of our POWs on the German side and how the local population often behaved by the show of good will during any daily interaction in Germany you can just see the same effect on the Canadian side as you describe the dances and how they wanted to stay.

Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X