Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ww2 flag

Hi,
    I bought this flag a while back as a ww2 Canadian 1st. Corps command headquarters flag. The bunting has the C broad arrow marking. I had never seen this flag before so I thought I would see if I could get it authenticated here.
    thx Jim

ttt

Comment

I do not know what it is but I do not believe it is a 1st Canadian Corps flag.

In my collection I have most of the WWII Canadian army staff car flags/swallowtails/pennants, as well as the original WWII formation sign decals, and the1 Canadian Corps design is quite different.

1 Cdn Corps was horizontal bands of:
      RED
      WHITE
      RED
      Superimposed in the middle was a RED diamond (blue for 2nd Cdn Corps) and a gold maple leaf in the middle of said diamond.

Colin

Originally posted by opcfan View Post
      Hi,
      I bought this flag a while back as a ww2 Canadian 1st. Corps command headquarters flag. The bunting has the C broad arrow marking. I had never seen this flag before so I thought I would see if I could get it authenticated here.
      thx Jim

Comment

Here is a photo of a 1 Canadian Corps staff car flag from WWII. Note that it still has the original stores identification tag attached. (Colin MacGregor Stevens' Collection)

Originally posted by Seaforth72 View Post
        I do not know what it is but I do not believe it is a 1st Canadian Corps flag.

In my collection I have most of the WWII Canadian army staff car flags/swallowtails/pennants, as well as the original WWII formation sign decals, and the1 Canadian Corps design is quite different.

1 Cdn Corps was horizontal bands of:
        RED
        WHITE
        RED
        Superimposed in the middle was a RED diamond (blue for 2nd Cdn Corps) and a gold maple leaf in the middle of said diamond.

Colin

Comment

Thanks for the info. Would the staff car flag be identical to the headquarters flag? This flag came from a much larger collection from a collector in Halifax.

Originally posted by Seaforth72 View Post
          Here is a photo of a 1 Canadian Corps staff car flag from WWII. Note that it still has the original stores identification tag attached. (Colin MacGregor Stevens' Collection)

Comment

Seaforth72 some 40 years ago I had the pleasure of attending a promotions parade at the Seaforth Highlanders Regiment. My ex wife and I were visiting her mother and we had went to the armories and I was in uniform(hasty-pee's) and presented the honoray col. one of my regiments hatbadge. After the parade my wife and I were invited to the jr ranks mess, and saw a short arm inspection of the newly promoted corporals. After which my wife exclaimed "it's true they don't wear underwear under their kilts!!!". We were sitting down and a Seaforth came over and told me to get out of their chair as no New Westy was allowed to sit on their chairs. I said I'm not a New Westy and he said you wear a red baret don't you and I said yes but look at the hatbadge where apon he bought my wife and I drinks and apologised for insulting me.

Comment

Anyone else have any thoughts as to this flags use?

Comment

1947 proposed Canada flag ...

...bought this flag ...had never seen this flag before
                so I thought I would see if I could get it authenticated here.
                thx Jim
                Hello Jim:
                Flag is listed elsewhere online as the 1947 Proposed
                new Canada flag by Adélard Godbout (Premier of Quebec).

http://canadianaflags.tripod.com/canadaflagproposals.htm
                OFW
                (below) graphic posted on the cited web site.
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

OFW
                  Thanks for the reply. I had seen the flag you speak of on line but mine is white over red the proposed flag is red over plus the green maple leaf is a different shape. What is the reason for the tie half way down the bunting?

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
                  Hello Jim:
                  Flag is listed elsewhere online as the 1947 Proposed
                  new Canada flag by Adélard Godbout (Premier of Quebec).

http://canadianaflags.tripod.com/canadaflagproposals.htm
                  OFW
                  (below) graphic posted on the cited web site.

Comment

my guess ???

OFW
                    Thanks for the reply. I had seen the flag you speak of on line but
                    mine is white over red the proposed flag is red over plus the green
                    maple leaf is a different shape. What is the reason for the tie half
                    way down the bunting?
                    opcfan:
                    My guess on the "tie half way down" the header, is for use to do
                    a slip knot release when the flag was rolled - something usually
                    only done on signal flags or during a special flag unveil ceremony.
                    On the previous post I also noted the following related online too.

"Francophone Canadians were generally in favor of a national flag whose symbolism was
                    neutral: Canadian rather than British or French. Adélard Godbout, a former premier of
                    Quebec
                    suggested in 1947 that a flag diagonally divided from upper hoist to lower fly,
                    red over white, charged with green maple leaf, would make an acceptable Canadian flag.
                    This was in fact the flag of the of the
                    League of the Canadian Flag, an organization
                    devoted to the adoption of a distinctive flag for the nation. Godbout's proposal pointed
                    the way forward, incorporating the elements of the future Canadian flag: the colors red
                    and white, and the maple leaf."
                    OFW
                    (below) some rolled flag examples.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by oldflagswanted; 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM.
                    sigpic
                    .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Thanks again OFW for the info.
                      I do not believe this is a signal flag. I do however believe, the colors white/red (1st Canadian Corp. and Canada colors) placement of the colors white over red, the direction of the diagonal slash, and the green maple leaf all have meaning towards nailing down the flags use, if not a Canadian 1st. Corps Command Flag. Thanks to all that have relied with their thoughts. Jim
                      Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
                      opcfan:
                      My guess on the "tie half way down" the header, is for use to do
                      a slip knot release when the flag was rolled - something usually
                      only done on signal flags or during a special flag unveil ceremony.
                      On the previous post I also noted the following related online too.

"Francophone Canadians were generally in favor of a national flag whose symbolism was
                      neutral: Canadian rather than British or French. Adélard Godbout, a former premier of
                      Quebec
                      suggested in 1947 that a flag diagonally divided from upper hoist to lower fly,
                      red over white, charged with green maple leaf, would make an acceptable Canadian flag.
                      This was in fact the flag of the of the
                      League of the Canadian Flag, an organization
                      devoted to the adoption of a distinctive flag for the nation. Godbout's proposal pointed
                      the way forward, incorporating the elements of the future Canadian flag: the colors red
                      and white, and the maple leaf."
                      OFW
                      (below) some rolled flag examples.

Comment

ttt for more opinions.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X