Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting Knife identification

Hi all

Is this a first pattern Fairbairn Sykes Fghting knife? I can find no markings anywhere... The top of the scabbard is separated at the belt loops from the rest of the scabbard.
    What is it worth?

Thanks
    Charlie

No, this is a second pattern. First pattern had an "S" shaped guard (2" or 3" wide) and a large flat section on each side of the blade just below the cross-guard. It also had the Wilkinson Sword and F-S Fighting knife etchings on these flat sections.

Yours is circa 1942-43. Earlier version of this had the same shape but had Wilkinson Sword and F-S Fighting Knife etchings on the blade. Condition is good but not great. Needs careful cleaning (very fine steel wool with gun oil VERY GENTLY rubbed will remove some of the rust.). The silver coloured grip is less common than the knurled brass type.

Value about $300-400.
    If had the Wilkinson crest and if it was in better condition it would be worth more.

I nice fighting knife. Lack of ENGLAND stamp is good as hat was a U.S. surplus import marking. You should try to find out the history of THIS knife.

I have my father's one which is similar but has the Wilkinson markings and my father's name in a scroll on the blade.

Colin

Originally posted by cerick1450 View Post
    Hi all

Is this a first pattern Fairbairn Sykes Fghting knife? I can find no markings anywhere... The top of the scabbard is separated at the belt loops from the rest of the scabbard.
    What is it worth?

Thanks
    Charlie

Comment

Thank you for the help and information.

charlie

Comment

sorry this is not a genuine wilkinson sword made 2nd pattern knife
        it might be old but its not an british issue knife
        blade wrong shape not hand ground
        knurling on grip is wrong
        cross guard wrong shape
        top nut wrong

Comment

even the tang hole in the cross gaurd is wrong it should be oblong not round
          scabbard is also wrong

Comment

sorry to go on but even the shape of the grips wrong

Comment

I don't know why you don't like it but Charlie's second pattern knife is a 100% correct example made in the second world war

Comment

Humm. so any other comments? I am not sure what to think. I was concerned because I could find no markings on the blade or handle.. This is not my area..

Charlie

Comment

Some excellent points made by nickn.

Knife LOOKS old but as mentioned there are a whole bunch of odd features about it. Knurling is not the typical pattern, blade shape is odd etc.

There were copies of the F-S Fighting knife made by other makers and countries - some officially like the OSS Stiletto and the USMC Stiletto. Some were made during the war by other knife makers, based upon photos etc., for other servicemen. These usually have far less value than the "proper" F-S Fighting Knives.

There are also many post-war versions that were, and still are being, made as well as replicas and outright fakes.

Remember, anyone can artificially age a knife to make it look old and a bit rusty.

I would have to say that this one is suspicious at the very least. Interesting however and it would be nice if someone can pin down the time period when it was made and the maker.

Colin

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                  sorry this is not a genuine wilkinson sword made 2nd pattern knife
                  it might be old but its not an british issue knife
                  blade wrong shape not hand ground
                  knurling on grip is wrong
                  cross guard wrong shape
                  top nut wrong

Comment

Agree with nickn, not a 2nd Pattern FS Knife manufactured by Wilkinson Sword. It is not easy to pinpoint where and when it was made, but looks to have some age. It could be a copy that has come out of India.

Comment

Blade

Blade looks to be wrong shape ...
                      Also note the finish to the blade is running along it, and is terrible ... BUT, this finish could not have been achieved with the handle on ..
                      There is no way the inspector would have passed this blade.

Gary J.

Comment

Not sure about where and when it was made but it is not an original FS. All the observations made are correct. That type of chequering on the grip I have not seen before. Loads of red flags everywhere you look.
                        Regards
                        Irv

Comment

At best an indian copy but for sure not a Wilkinson or british issued FS.
                          There is some very good info on the net available to look at/study before bying a FS, shame if someone would spend serious money for a less serious knife..

http://gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/fs_knife1.htm
                          http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com....com/Home.html

Regards.

Comment

It appears the crossguard is made of brass rather than steel.

Luc

Comment

Thanks to all for the help. I do not acutally own the knife. It belongs to a friend of mine that took it on trade. From the discussions, It appears to be a psot war India or ??? copy..

thanks for all the comments and discussion.

Charlie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X