X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED HELP for a British MKII helmet

Hello Fellas!
    Received this MKII with net.
    Sorry for the unnatural light and flashed pics, I promised to take betteroutdoor pics as I can.
    It has brown-reddish brush paint, painted KLM 298982 in the rear rim, has a chinstrap with a pen inscription, seems Fm K.L. Mills. I tried to show the markings on the liner and near the chinstrap on te shell.
    Can someone tell me if It's period and, if so, why the brown-reddish paint? Which war theatre?
    Thanks in advance, better pics soon, again sorry.

G.
    Attached Files

a
    Attached Files

Comment

b
      Attached Files

Comment

c
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the previous ugly pics.
          Liner marked "7 J.C.S. & W. Ltd 1939", I see an "8" on the shell near the chinstrap holder. Painted on the rear rim K.L.M. 298982, on the chinstrap written in pencil "Fm. K.L.MILL".
          Strange brown-reddish camo painting.

Thanks for help.
          G.
          Attached Files

Comment

a
            Attached Files

Comment

b
              Attached Files

Comment

​Salut Giovanni,

The brown "reddish" camo paint looks like an early war camo as per the MKII helmet itself with its "J.C.S. & W. Ltd" MKI liner dated 39 (with round pad inside comparing to the MKII liner with "crossed" pad issued in 1940)
                I would think that this kind rough camo is typical from "BEF" (British Expeditionary Force) as per used in Dunkirk, Dieppe and other early/mid war British campaign/commando's action in western Europe...imho.
                Also, It could have been (re)used in Italy after 1943 which could explain that there's a US net over (for me the net doesn't look British but much more US)

I think that the "8" mentionned visible stamped on the shell near the chinstrap holder is the "8" of 1938 which correspond to this type of early MKII helmet.
                You could find some photos above of the same kind of early war British helmet stamped "J.S.S 1939" with MKI liner "VERO 38"

"K.L.M. 298982 & Fm. K.L.MILL" is clearly the name (K.L MILL) and regiment number of the soldier (298982).

Hope it helps...
                Best
                Thierry

Comment

Salut Thierry!
                  Merci!!!
                  Well, I was given this helmet by my girlfriend who bought it for me as a gift in London. It comes from an house clearance. I studied a little and found the early war liner details, on another forum another Brit collector told me that the number should correspond to the 1st Life Guards. Don't know about the net.
                  Does this info tells something new to you? If I was given such an early war Brit helmet I have to invite my girl in a veeeeery good restaurant....

Thanks again
                  G.

Comment

WW2 campaigns:

The Second World War: Mont Pincon, Souleuvre, Noireau Crossing, Amiens 1944, Brussels, Neerpelt, Nederrijn, Nijmegen, Lingen, Bentheim, North-West Europe 1944-45, Baghdad 1941, Iraq 1941, Palmyra, Syria 1941, El Alamein, North Africa 1942-43, Arezzo, Advance to Florence, Gothic Line, Italy 1944.

G.

Comment

I think JSS is Joseph Sankey Sons.RMR

Comment

Originally posted by RMR View Post
                        I think JSS is Joseph Sankey Sons.RMR
                        Yes it is!

Best
                        Thierry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X