Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian / American Red Cross POW Food Parcels

Hi guys,

Question... are reproductions been made of those Canadian and American Red Cross Prisoner of War Food Parcel, cardboard boxes?
    Just interested in one, and it looks legit, stamping looks correct. But its in quite good condition. Wondered if these are reproduced at all?

Rob

I've seen some adhesive stickers floating arround, to be stuck on a modern cardbox. But I haven't seen any good repro's. (as it is difficult to print cardboard)

Comment

The Canadian ones certainly are and are quite difficult to identify unless you have it in hand.

Comment

appreciate your replies guys, i believe its canadian, so I might pass on it, just incase.

Rob

Comment

Probably the best course of action. Although there were hundreds of thousands produced the likelihood of a cardbord box designed to be sent to men who used every scrap of material given to them surviving 70 years is very slim. The majority would have been burnt or cut up for a vareity of uses. Although there will undoubtly be some out there, I would not buy one unless it had some sort of provenance. I should know, I bought one a few years ago (having not seen any for sale before) and was very happy with it when I unwrapped it. It was complete with water damage and dust and dirt from numerous years of storage and then........... and then I opened the box and you could see where the tea bag had been wiped around the inside to artificially age it!!!! Unfortunately paper and cardboard is very easy to replicate and age and the humble tea bag has been used for years to fool even the most senior of art scholars high up in the art world.

Comment

There is a very nice line of WWI labels for boxes and tins, sold by an outfit in the UK, which we have just used in an exhibit at the museum where I work and it struck me at the time that finding the right can was quite easy and the 'aging' process probably not too hard at all.

And the return on investment would make it worth while to someone, I'm sure! Caveat emptor!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X