Scottish cap badge query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish cap badge query

My great uncle was in a Scottish unit (UK) in WW I, and for years his Glengarry and cap badge have been in the family here in the US. His Glengarry went to an uncle but I still have the cap badge ("91" and leopard's head surmounted by a crown).

I recently, though, came to the conclusion that the badge is actually for the Canadian Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. What a shock!

I suspect that's what it is but I'd like to email a picture of it to someone here as I'm not a full member and can't post pics. There may be value in posting it for other collectors.

Hi Michael, I would be happy to post them upon your behalf. Send them to me at:

asummerof44@aol.com

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Canadian A & SH (my fathers old one, from the Kitchen's ill-fated expedition to Canada in the late 50's).
      It's got the King's Crown, & so is thought of as 1936 - 1952, but as with many units continued at least a few years into QE II's reign.
      This was issued to my father in about 1957-59.
      There were previous patterns worn by 91st regiment, Canadian Highlanders, worn 1903 -20 which were similar but without the name circlet & with the motto & "91" on a ribbon under the beastie's head.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by leigh kitchen; 09-08-2004, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Here is Michael's cap badge.

Cheers, Ade.
        Attached Files

Comment

It's 91st Canadian Highlanders, 1903 - 20, looks like the larger of 2 similar badges worn during that time, there was also another version which was "chunkier" than this. That's about all I know - there are members who no doubt can add more.

Comment

Thanks again Ade for posting this.

Well my great uncle was a bona fide Scot from the Glasgow-Rutherglen area so I would imagine that somewhere along the way (in the US) this cap badge was added to his glengarry to make it more whole.

He purportedly was with Argyll and Sutherland (UK) so this was probably ID'd as the same...I've looked for him in the various Gazettes as he received a high decoration (not the VC or DCM) and all I've been able to find was a possible match in the Gordon Highlanders, for a MM in WW I. I recall my grandmother recounting how he picked up a steaming mortar or arty shell out of his trench and tossing it into a crater, where it went off.

He was a pipe major, if my memory serves me correctly. Is that position very well documented?

Comment

Z
              Last edited by Michael Page; 09-12-2004, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X