No announcement yet.

Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The British used the No. 4 Mk. I Lee-Enfield as their standard rifle was in .303" and it was also the standard rifle for Canadian soliders from 1943 onwards.

The Canadian made No. 4 Mk. I* rifle was made at Longbranch. It is correct for their battles in Sicily (1943), Italy (1943-1945), Normandy (1944), Belgium, Netherlands (1944-1945), Germany (1945).

The "ENGLAND" stamp is believed to represent "country of origin" so it apperars that your rifle was used by the British before being sold surplus. The ENGLAND marking often appears on F-S Fighting Knives (commando knives) that were imported into the USA. Theis marking was added after WWII.

Most of these rifles were replaced in the late 1950s by 7.62mm NATO L1A1 SLR (Self-Loading Rifle, a British version of the FN FAL) or in Canada the FN C1 and C1A1versions.

The Stevens-Savage company did make some Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. I rifles for the British. These have the "US PROPERTY" marking on the left side.

The Lee-Enfield No. 4 was an excellent rifle and some are still in use in Canada by the Canadian Rangers (a home guard-guerrilla type outift in Canada's North), although the rifles are due to be replaced I believe.

Some were made in .22" calibre for training. e.g. the Canadian C No. 7 Mk. I
    Some were converted to 7.62mm NATO (.308 Winchester) in later years e.g. for target shooting.

The rifle in the photo has damage to the wood showing and the rerar sight looks like it might be damaged.

Colin in Canada

Originally posted by Pretorian81 View Post
    Hello guys,

I'm interested in buying a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I*, produced in 1942 by Long Branch in Canada, but I would like to know if this weapon was used at the battlefields during WW2 or was it used after WW2?

All help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sven

Comment

Thank you for the additional info Colin!

Comment

The Rangers are a little more then a home-guard type thing

They might consist of all ages, shapes and sizes of members but are meant for Cold War recce type stuff if the Ruskies ever showed up, and are experts in the Wilderness. I have never seen anyone with No4 Enfields able to hit drop plates at 400-600m before over iron sights, consistently too and in the snow. Was a pleasure to spend time with them....they really know their stuff in the Cold and they can cook some real Wilderness treats! I have many experiences if anyone wants to hear more about living amongst these guys.

They're currently replacing this Rifle with another Rifle so i hear.

Regards,

Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X