Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I*

Hello guys,

I'm interested in buying a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I*, produced in 1942 by Long Branch in Canada, but I would like to know if this weapon was used at the battlefields during WW2 or was it used after WW2?

All help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Sven

This is a Wartime No4 for sure but also post war exported rifle isn't it? Marked "England". Perhaps someone knows more! My Uncle "Vince" used to make these, he later was a Highrise construction worker until the 80s in Canada.... Maybe you have one of "Vincent's No4's or Brens!"...he was quite proud to have made them!

REgards,

Pete

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      So normally this was used after ww2?

All opinions welcome.

Regards,
      Sven

Comment

That's not what he said, he said it is ww2 production to his knowledge, but it was used also after the war till they classified it obsolete. These were different in the finish than most other military rifles as the Britts used a hearty rust resistant type painted finish. They are one of the most accurate and fast bolt action rifles ever manufactured ,...although ,are kinda ugly at first glance, but, do not be fooled. The most valuable ones you really want to look for , are the T model.(T) at the end after mark I.
        I'm sure production numbers can be checked somewhere, (on strap above trigger guard), but I would say yes, IMO a WW2 rifle. Over here when they are imports , they have a stamped name of the importer just back from the front sight on the barrel.
        Last edited by juoneen; 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

It was used in the British Army until 1957 when it was replaced with the 7.62mm SLR. The sniper version was in use until the 1990s. The No 4 Mk 1 is still in use today with the Indian and Bangladesh police forces. Also still in use with the Canadian Forces Ranger Reserve but will be replaced in the next year or so. Pity.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation guys.

So it was used at the end of ww2 and later.

And the England stamp at the gun means that it was made for export to England?

Regards,
            Sven

Comment

I will make a stab at it, maybe I am right? Just like you see FS Knives with the "England" stamp so Rifles were also exported post war for sale, or, as return of "war aid" money. For example my Father has a No 1 Mk 3 .303 bought in Canada in the 60s, marked the same way.

Pete

Comment

Ok, thanks Pete

Comment

same

I have a 1942 version made in te USA marked the same way. It has a "S" and marked "US Propoerty" on the reciever. I believe this was made in the US and exported to the UK and is wartime.

Comment

Nothing wrong with it.
                    Used during the war.
                    After the war (who knows when..) it was sold and marked England.

Comment

The "S" marked No 4 Enfield is a Savage-Stevens Arms production Rifle. These were made in the US to send to the UK during the War to be the best of what i recall to do with Lend Lease? or another reason? Maybe someone knows more. The Rifles are chambered for .303 Savage, not sure if there is a difference between the standard UK casing? Years and years ago there were Irish Enfields sold on the market, unissued in the packing paper and you could even get consecutive numbers. The metal Finnish and stock was more like you see on American Rifles as well as compared to the UK and Long Branch. I had one and if i recall it was even S marked. They're all nice Rifles but the No 1 was preferred over the No 4 by most troops apparently.

Pete

Comment

info

From what I could find the Savage No.4 Mk1 rifles are seen often and were made in large numbers compared to the Long Branch No.4 Mk1. The Long Branches No.4 Mk1 that were not refurbished later on are rare. A Long Branch No4 Mk1 with the correct original early parts that has not been refurbished is worth a lot more than a Savage.

Comment

The prices of Guns in the US compared to Canada is amazing. You guys would cry!

Pete

Comment

Thank you for the comments guys.
                            I appreciate all the help.

Regards,
                            Sven

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              The Rifles are chambered for .303 Savage, not sure if there is a difference between the standard UK casing?

Pete
                              I have owned and fired Stevens/Savage made Enfields and they were all chambered for the standard .303 British cartridge. I've never heard of them being chambered for anything different. It wouldn't make sense for the US to provide lend/lease war aid rifles to England and then chamber them in a non standard cartridge.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X