Mystery WW1 Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery WW1 Medal

I picked this up along time ago and have been unable to determine what it is,
    Any ideas, thanks for your help guys, I know some people hate this type of thread.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dan Plomish; 09-06-2004, 03:53 PM. Reason: pic

close up

close up
    Attached Files

Comment

reverse

reverse
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dan Plomish; 09-06-2004, 03:55 PM. Reason: pic

Comment

Hi Dan,

It's what the forum is all about, I only wish I could help you........you'd be happy and I'd feel good about helping a peer !

I hope someone can help, good luck.

Marcus

Comment

Doesn't look like a medal to me but more of an Edward VII sovereign of some kind

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Marcus, I'll probably be asking questions for a couple more years, then maybe I can start throwing out answers

Originally posted by Marcus. H
            Hi Dan,

It's what the forum is all about, I only wish I could help you........you'd be happy and I'd feel good about helping a peer !

I hope someone can help, good luck.

Marcus

Comment

I have the same. It is a coin i was told on a coin collecting forum. I will try to find that thread!

Comment

Thanks General

Thanks General, Did you find out if its worth anything, it just sits in a box, I dont know if i should take better care of it or not.

Originally posted by _The_General_
                I have the same. It is a coin i was told on a coin collecting forum. I will try to find that thread!

Comment

Found the thread. They told me that it is an imitation of a gold Britisch pound.

Here are two others:

http://www.muntstukken.be/forum/inde...;threadid=2432

http://www.muntstukken.be/forum/inde...;threadid=2965

Comment

It's tempting to say that it's a WWI patriotic souvenir, as it's got the date "1916" on the back, but then it's got King Edward VII on the front.

Similar things were produced as gaming tokens, with "deliberate mistakes" presumably to avoid accusations of counterfeiting, & also to make political comment - I picked up an "imitation" Victorian sovereign a while ago, it's reverse was some kind of jibe at the Royal family, showing the white horse of Hanover rather than St. George & the dragon.

As the disc was produced as one with the suspension loop then I'd go for a souvenir item, perhaps not linked to any war.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X