Neat RAF banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat RAF banner

Just got this with a lot of various WW2 items from an old gentleman. It is a 16" x 20" fringed banner of some kind, double sided heavy thread embroidery on a blue/gray gaberdine wool background. Couple of minor moth bites but overall decent condition. The old guy was quite a character, says he stole it from a RAF Hurricane fighter unit ops building while he was stationed in the UK as a AAC mechanic. That is his story and he sticking to it. Nice piece anyway.
    Enjoy the pictures,
    Garth
    Attached Files

Close up
    Attached Files

Comment

Closer

Comment

R.a.f Drape

HIYA GARTH ,
        very nice , do you think it is a musicians stand drape ..i suppose it would not be double sided in that case are there any fixings ,ties to the top ?/ regards , your poor english relative ,Michael.
        Originally posted by Garth Thompson
        Closer

Comment

Stunning workmanship, but as it is obviously stolen property the honorable thing to do would be to return it to it's rightful country (NOT owners)

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
            HIYA GARTH ,
            very nice , do you think it is a musicians stand drape ..i suppose it would not be double sided in that case are there any fixings ,ties to the top ?/ regards , your poor english relative ,Michael.
            Michael, On closer looking it is actually two pieces sewn together then fringed with both ties and a dark wooden pole through the top. I shouldn't think it is a musicians drape. I don't know how you can be a poor English relative as the dollar continually circles the drain in relation to the pound. Best, Garth

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean
              Stunning workmanship, but as it is obviously stolen property the honorable thing to do would be to return it to it's rightful country (NOT owners)
              Jim, I was thinking of doing exactly that after the British Museum settles up with the Greek and Egyptian governments .
              Thanks for the comment,
              Garth

Comment

Probably a trumpeter's banner if it's double sided.I for one sincerely wish we would settle up with the Greeks and Egyptians, probably a few more as well.
                As for the banner I'm very glad that it's in the hands of someone that appreciates it. I know I would

Comment

Either a trumpet banner or a chapel dias banner. Nice item.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X