Coronation and Jubilee Medals Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronation and Jubilee Medals Question

I hope that this is not too elementary a question, but exactly what have been the requirements for an individual to receive either a Monarch's Coronation medal or a jubilee medal?

A brief explanation would be very much appreciated !

Hi

PM sent

Comment

It varied with each medal.

From very few in the Edwardian era to almost almost everyone in the Liz II era.

It also varied with each commonwealth country. The Golden Jubilee saw very large distribution in the UK but a much limited distribution in Canada 9,600 just to the military where in the UK saw 160000+ just to the military.

Comment

Oh man.....hot topic!

Just my opinion! (worth nothing, only what you paid for it)

In the Military it was quite ridiculous and quickly became known as a Medal people wanted to actually avoid getting as it meant nothing in comparison to what it was supposed to mean for many by result of a very strict method of awarding it by Canada. If I recall correctly (hopefully) it was "supposedly" computer generated list which worked out to longest time in Rank as the criteria, of course with the Units help/nominations for suitable personnel. So you had some guys who "earned one" having been a Sgt for many years, maybe due to lack of promotions, and others who got one for being pretty much a 20 year "career Cpl" or "CFL" (Cpl for life)....which sadly meant many of them were ticket punchers and were going out of their way to avoid any kind of promotion, doing a CLC (Combat Leaders course) etc....This Medal, and the most recent one, is a hot subject for debate on many forums and in many circles. However in the Military there were many deserved Golden Jubilee medals and likely new Diamond Jubilee Medals to people who really deserve one and many many deserving citizens. The way Canada handed out these was nothing like the UK, where I think it was a lot more the way it was supposed to be. Recently Justin Beiber showed up wearing coveralls and hat to receive his medal, adding fuel to the fire amongst veterans debating this already hot subject. There are likely a few members on here who can speak better then me about all this with more information!

Pete

Long P.S. I'm from Newfoundland and have always been very emotionally and idealistically connected to the UK, for obvious reasons to do with Newfoundland, confederation, family service in the British Forces (which turned me away in the 90s saying they weren't taking commonwealth citizens) etc. Having been on the Queens honor guard for a visit was a career highlight for me! Now, what i always got a kick out of is I would have been honored to wear such a decoration for my own ideological reasons and half of the people who got one I knew were the ones slagging the Monarchy, or saying "Why should we return Royal to our unit designations etc".......who are now saying "Yeah, Royal is back in our unit designations, we are so proud!"....just my rant....never mind! grumble grumble...lol

Comment

Thanks, gentlemen !
          I appreciate the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D. View Post
            I hope that this is not too elementary a question, but exactly what have been the requirements for an individual to receive either a Monarch's Coronation medal or a jubilee medal?

A brief explanation would be very much appreciated !
            For the last two Jubilee medals - Gold and Diamond, you had to be serving and have served for the five years prior to the actual anniversary of the accession. I have mine, and every eligible person in HMF (no idea about civvies in police, fire brigade etc) received one.

The Silver Jubilee medal though seemed to be only given to certain individuals ie CO, ship's captain and a random 10% of HMF.

Comment

To me the UK criteria is was so much more as it "should" have been for Canada! Mind you the commonwealth have always been very sparing with Medals, which is good! Winston Churchill had it right, something like: better to offend a few then please everybody!

Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X