Beret Help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beret Help???

Recently picked this up out of an old collection pretty much as a throw in and this is definitely not in my realm of knowledge. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks, Alex
    Attached Files

beret

more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks very much like a British Royal Marines Beret. Not sure what period your's is. And theirs was Blue in colour.

The cap badge is not Royal Marines though.
      Attached Files

Comment

Badge appears to be a bronze example, for offficers of the Hampshire Regiment.
        A lot of regiments used a colored badge backing on berets, or even peaked caps, but Idon't know if the Hampshires did. Their facing color was yellow, so I'm doubtful if the scarlet is correct. I'm also thinking Royal Marines.

Bob Shoaf
        Last edited by Robert Shoaf; 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I would lean to a post-war specimen because of the reenforced badge "pocket" which is characteristic for those berets.

Comment

Agreed on the Hampshire badge which I think pre dates the beret, the became "Royal" in the late 40s with a change of badge.

I think the beret itself is as stated RM, used for recruits and non commando units and probably not later than mid-late 60s, sometime around then if I recall it changed to a fabric sweatband.

Comment

How is the badge held on? by 2 eyes and cross pin, a brass bolt and nut, or a flat verticle tab. When I was in the army we would remove the flat tab on the back and solder a brass bolt to the back center and hole the badge on with a brass washer and nut soldered together to make one piece. Wasn't regulation but stopped the hat badge thieves who could just slip the badges with the flat prong on the back from the berets

Comment

A recruits beret by the red flash isn't it?

Pete

Comment

beret

Thanks guys!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X