Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Fire Bucket

Hello,
    Can anyone please tell me anything about this fire bucket? How old is it? Is it British, or from a different country? Who would have used it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!

Hunter
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Hunter

Very nice item. I think that it is too small to be a fire bucket. They were more traditionally "bucket" shaped. I think what you have is a British Royal Navy shot carrier. I think it would have carried 2 round-shot or one shell. If you could measure the diameter of the top it would probably be possible to work out the calibre.

The coat of arms is the British royal coat of arms but I'm not sure of the vintage. There should be a crown above the helmet. Is there any evidence of it being there? See the attached photo of the coat or Arms of George III

A photo of my fire bucket is attached - note the difference in shape but the crest is similar but the crown is present. The metal band is a later addition. Metal was kept to a minimum to reduce the chance of sparks setting off any loose gunpowder on deck

Nice item - 19th Century I would think.

Regards

James
      Attached Files
      Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
      Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
      Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

James,
        Thank you very much for your help. Here are a few more pictures. The inside has a removable metal liner. The crown unfortunately has been completely rubbed off except for the base, but the bottom of the bucket is dated 1941. Any more help would be great. thanks a lot!!
        Attached Files

Comment

bottom
          Attached Files

Comment

Clearly a nineteenth century design and I agree that its for powder charges, not water. made in 1941 is odd, though, and a bit of a pity, as the 19thC ones are worth some considerable money, especially with provenance. Perhaps a souvenir or something whipped up to raise funds for a Royal Navy benevolent fund or some such?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X