Suspicious Looking Canadian Parachute Badge on E-Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspicious Looking Canadian Parachute Badge on E-Bay

I just wanted to point out this odd looking badge on e-bay. I have no idea of provenance but the basic construction of the badge IS NOT the same as the "known" wartime examples. It looks to me like the copy artists are getting better and better. The green background material is not typical and the way the wings, maple leaf and esp the parachute are embroidered is not indicative of a wartime Type 6 Canadian Parachute Badge. The glue sizing on the back also looks to be like an elmers glue. The reported "moth" holes look like they were done by hand and not moth. Anyway thought I would point that out because it is, in my opinion, a nice looking copy. These are fetching good money and might explain the creation of this. I dont think the seller is aware of it being a repro and I dont think it is listed maliciously. He points out it is a Type 6 as found in my book, but I do not like the look of this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Canadia...item3f207fceaf

Ken

Hello Ken,

I saw this wing too and also believe it's a reproduction, albeit a very good one.

At the moment I can't put my finger on where I've seen that type of construction before, but it set off alarm bells when I saw it? That said, the picture of the reverse certainly should prove sufficient to put collectors off.

By the way, thanks for publishing an excellent book that has saved me lots of money!

Regards

Paul

Comment

Hi Ken,

I seen it also and the colour, cut and glue looked really odd.
      I have one that i believe is good. Colour and glue back looks different.

Mike
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike,

I believe your wing is a good wartime example, but I'll leave the final verdict up to Ken who has handled this type of wing.

Regards

Paul

Comment

Type 6

Mikes badge is fine. It is the most typical example. The better made examples have a backing cloth. Some have a negative appearence to the reverse embroidery. These are much harder to locate. All originals have a very straight wing design while copies tend to have more of a wave to them. Also the risers (shroud lines) to the parachute on originals are twisted threads not just a single line of machined thread. It seems typical of repro artists making Cdn Para Items to experiment with different materials in hope of fooling someone at some point.

Ken

Originally posted by 3battalion View Post
          Hi Mike,

I believe your wing is a good wartime example, but I'll leave the final verdict up to Ken who has handled this type of wing.

Regards

Paul

Comment

Nice mint looking wing Mike!

I guess you're looking to sell it?...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X