Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cavalry Red Tunic, dated 1900, - Regiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cavalry Red Tunic, dated 1900, - Regiment?

G'day, this item's dated on its paper label - 1900, which also describes it as "Cavalry Red Tn F2 (remainder of word torn off, possibly "Frock"?)

It has Victorian GS buttons, & has not had any metal insignia although I can't make up my mind about cloth - I can't decide whether it's had none at all or things such as inverted chevrons above drum on the right lower sleeve.
    It's probably best to say that it's had no insignia attached - other than the black or dark bluecollar tabs, which are tacked on around their edges.
    It's looks like it's had a leather stock tab which has now gone, leaving just a trace of patent leather laquer.
    The laquered fabric pocket & label inside the front skirts are devoid of printing or writing.

I've wondered, possibly a dragoon regiment?
    I checked with some Canadian Mounties a few months ago, describing this to them, in case it was an old RCMP tunic, but that was non-conclusive.
    It may have had some connection to the guards.

Has anybody any idea as to which regiment wore this tunic please?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I reckon it's RCMP. The pocket flap style is the giveaway, as are the fecelets on the collar. I would be extremely surprised if it was anything but a mounties' tunic.
        Last edited by Tony Farrell; 09-03-2004, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Ta, as I said, I ran a description of it past some Mounties I met but they could'nt decide one way or the other.
          There does'nt appear to be anything on the label to indicate that it's not British, but the black or blue collar tabs seem to echo the shaped tabs of the RCMP, it's just that they're not shaped to fit the collar, just fairly roughly applied bits of woven cloth or wide ribbon as if by the man himself.
          No metal collar insignia either.
          Mounties it is then.
          Anybody know where I can get the correct period headgear, belt, bandolier etc?

Comment

Red Tunic

Hiya Leigh ,
            nice tunic but ......sorry cant tell ya what it is if it does turn out to be a mounties uniform i think its well worth the effort putting it ` back together` hard core collectors will argue that its not " pure " but over ther years i have had BATTLE DRESS `S , SERVICE DRESS etc give to me from vets that had all insignia long since removed , but as long as you do it right i see no problem at all with this , its just the same as restoring a vintage car from spare parts , so ...bo%&$ks to the puritans ,may be a trawl on e,bay might turn up a few canadian dealers that could help ,best wishes ,Michael.
            Originally posted by leigh kitchen
            Ta, as I said, I ran a description of it past some Mounties I met but they could'nt decide one way or the other.
            There does'nt appear to be anything on the label to indicate that it's not British, but the black or blue collar tabs seem to echo the shaped tabs of the RCMP, it's just that they're not shaped to fit the collar, just fairly roughly applied bits of woven cloth or wide ribbon as if by the man himself.
            No metal collar insignia either.
            Mounties it is then.
            Anybody know where I can get the correct period headgear, belt, bandolier etc?

Comment

Hi, I can't really say that other then the collar tabs any insignia have ever been on, so I won't be adding any.

If there were signs of original insignia being attached than I'd add the metal stuff but not cloth - perhaps tack a cloth badge on with 1 or 2 loops of stitching.

I'd've thought that the old bison head collar dogs would have been fitted, but no sign that they have.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X