British Coloured Field Service Cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Coloured Field Service Cap?

Can anybody tell me what unit this belongs to please?
    Kings Crown Royal Arms Yellow metal buttons.
    It doesn't feature in "British Army Uniforms & Insignia of WWII"(Brian L. Davis, Arms & Armour Press 1983) or in "Regimental Badges & Service Caps" (printed by George Philip & Son Ltd, 1941).
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

F.s Caps

Hello Leigh ,
      is the colour of the bottom part of the hat lue or red please ???

sorry my eyes are bad ( did not have many toys as a kid ) , regards ,Michael.
      Originally posted by leigh kitchen
      Can anybody tell me what unit this belongs to please?
      Kings Crown Royal Arms Yellow metal buttons.
      It doesn't feature in "British Army Uniforms & Insignia of WWII"(Brian L. Davis, Arms & Armour Press 1983) or in "Regimental Badges & Service Caps" (printed by George Philip & Son Ltd, 1941).

Comment

Hi, the body & the peak are red, the side flaps are dark blue, as is the lining to the peak.

My original suspicions were that it was a cavalry or yeomanry regiment, but I can't find any reference to it at all.

Comment

I think it might possibly be REME, which might account for it not being in the 1941 publication.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean
            I think it might possibly be REME, which might account for it not being in the 1941 publication.
            I considered REME, but I've got one of their sidecaps from the 70's (won it at Goojerat Bks), which I think has a blue top.

Comment

a shot in the dark ,

Hiya LEIGH ,
              I have a book that shows picture drawings of all the caps .....apart from yours many of the cav /hussars ones are close , the closest was 4 TH /7TH DRAGOONS but not the same style ( cut ) as yours , will keep trying , best wishes ,Michael.
              Originally posted by leigh kitchen
              I considered REME, but I've got one of their sidecaps from the 70's (won it at Goojerat Bks), which I think has a blue top.

Comment

I've been musing over this for a couple of days now. I initially thought REME too but have turned towards the 4/7DG. It might even be a Yeomanry squadron variation. What's on the front buttons? Cavalry FS caps tend to be cut in two distinct styles: the Victorian 'chip bag' (more akin to a glengarry) and the more familiar 'Dads' Army' style with ear flaps. As these are a grey area in QRs, it's difficult to gauge what was en vogue at a particular time. Some regiments only allowed SNCOs to wear them in Barrack Dress, whilst others it was/is an officers' only ruling.

I used to wear my RAF (private purchase) one with working dress (acceptable) and No.1s (semi-acceptable) - which used to drive the SWO potty - but he couldn't really pull me for it (it looked the biz too). Personally, I like them and they make for an interesting and colourful collecting sphere - a bit like stable belts, but that's another story. Marc Sheriff's the man for these quirky dress items.

Comment

This looks almost but not exactly like my 1940-dated armoured corps cap. -Lee
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hiya, 4/th dragoons had a dark blue top, rather than white - their style was the Torrin
                    Buttons are Kings Crown fighting dogs, the standard Royal Arms design.
                    Lee, your sidecap is the same as the REME sidecap, which is the same as the one I'm trying to identify other than the white top & red peak on mine.
                    The badge has left no easily discernable ghost, whatever was there had north/south loops, & the lower edge of the badge rubbed a 1/4" mark on the edge of the peak. That's about it.
                    It might be an idea to check regimental colour schemes as the FS Cap colours might be an exact representation of those colours (other than perhaps the yellow piping).
                    I'll have another black light scan of the badge area.

Comment

I'm now beginning to lean towards the Royal Hussars (PWO). Certainly RAC IMO.

Comment

Don't know about that one - 10th Royal Hussars was all red, 11th Hussars was all cherry, so I don't think that the amalgamated regiment would have blue & white included.
                        I'm trying to match up caps of possible parent regiments to a post WWII amalgamation to produce this white topped red sided blue curtained yellow piped offspring, but have'nt managed it so far.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X