Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This makes me sick...

Hello all,

As I am sure some of you are aware, a very big insignia collection came up for sale recently at a UK auction house. It was called the "Grace Gibson collection". She was in the ATS during the war and avidly collected British and American cloth and metal badges.

The details of the auction along with pictures and prices realised can be found here:

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/wspd_...&iSaleNo=11009

Now the part that makes me sick...big dealers like Regimentals come along and buy loads of the Airborne/Commando insignia probably not knowing an awful lot about it but know that it is a popular collecting area. So, having bought it they put it on their website for ridiculous amounts of money.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing at all wrong in bidding at auction and reselling the stuff, but I think this guy has just set new world record prices for cloth insignia. If you check his website out, you will see what I mean! Some prices from his website:

Single embroidered Pegasus patch £110
    Pair printed Pegasus patches £150
    First Allied Airborne patch £150
    Single printed "INDIA" Pegasus patch £175
    Single embroidered Parachute Regiment title £120
    Single printed Glider Pilot Regt. title £120

He must be a lunatic!

I do not think he will ever sell at these prices unless someone incredibly stupid comes along

Just my thoughts on the matter, from Jack.

Sadly there aren't any pictures for the 'Grace Gibson' collection, unless it's the whole auction .

Personally, I'm not really into cloth (or rubber and leather before the mud flies ). I wish I was though, as a kid after the Saturday morning cinema I used to poodle off to my favourite Militaria shop to spend the rest of my pocket money on badges. At that time it wasn't a case of chasing the elusive badge, it was a case of how many can I afford this week. Metal badges started at 9 old pence and it wasn't a case of rarity it was how big they were and if they were bi-metal. Cloth badges were 3 old pence each, slip-ons, curved, formation signs etc. I could have filled a carrier bag for a couple of quid. 20/20 hindsight is great, but what a great opportunity lost. The same shop lives on, though a few hundred yards from the original, the original owner is long gone as are the badges he had. The present owner shuts for 2 hours for a liquid luncheon, comes back bladdered and sells fakes.
    Poor old Mr Poole the original owner was trying to make a living out of selling the real thing and now people are making a nice living selling fakes. How times change!

As an afterthought my local free rag came through the door this morning. There's a full page advert for a company looking for antiques, militaria etc. Cash on the barrelhead. Happens next Tuesday, I think I may well take myself and a couple of choice pieces down there and see what I'm offered. Should be good for a laugh. Who knows might be able to poach something.

Comment

Agreed !!

Jack,
      I agree with your sentiment concerning the sale.

One thing that seems to occur is for the major London dealers to try and set the latest price for items.

How many times have you seen something which you thought to be over-priced, and then you check with other main line dealers and they also have the items in the same price range ...

A classic example ... FJ Helmets ...
      10 years ago I was amazed to see one for sale for £800.
      Then all the dealers price-hopped and within 6 months they were £1200.
      Then ..... £1800

..It seems strange how they all "price-up together" around the same time

Regards

Gary J

Comment

Yes this fiasco is stupid and annoying. For 2 reasons, Firstly Bonhams were not even bothered answering emails or correspondance from normal collectors like myself about this auction beforehand!!?? This despite them putting a big bright shiny ad in the Armourer which correct me if I`m wrong is AIMED at normal collectors. The few photos of the insignia they did show on their website were front only, no reverse shots? . I`m sorry but no one in their right mind bids sight unseen these days regardless of the integrity or name of the auction house or where the items supposedly came from. I found that extremely frustrating and I believe places like this auction house are more geared to selling entire lots to dealers rather than single items to genuine collectors like ourselves.

Secondly, I would love to think no one in their right mind would buy those patches from regimentals etc.. at those silly prices but lets face it, theres a frank spencer born in this hobby every 2 seconds so they will sell.

Comment

Those prices are, indeed, insane. An "India" pegasus patch for 175 quid? Hmmmm...I can get a nice multi-clasp IGS 1895 for that and still have change for lunch (a light lunch, mind you). You'd like to think that companies like Regimentals will, quite simply, price themselves out of the market by alienating their customers. I feel, however, that Des is more correct in stating that there's one born every minute.

I can understand the rising price of researchable British medals - I don't like it - but at least there's some logic to it. Especially given that researching them is becoming easier all the time with the digitization of many archives and medal rolls. Sorry, and with due respect to cloth collectors, but no patch - which is inherently unresearchable and therefore should have less value than, say, a researchable uniform grouping or something similar, should be worth 120+ pounds sterling!

It will be interesting to see how long these patches, that Jack has mentioned, remain for sale.

Comment

[It will be interesting to see how long these patches, that Jack has mentioned, remain for sale.[/QUOTE]
            Luckily I have a pair .I have tried to email wallis and wallis and bosleys for some photos ,but I always get "sorry sir we dont send phtos over the web" well up yours then , Rob

ps you can have mine for the bargain price of £500 (pairs are worth more than singles )Rob.
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Rob, tell me where to send the money to

Comment

I'll take two Dozen

Rob,
                I'll take two dozen ...
                (By the way .. you do except luncheon vouchers I hope !!)

Regards

Gary J.

Originally posted by ROBB
                [It will be interesting to see how long these patches, that Jack has mentioned, remain for sale.
                Luckily I have a pair .I have tried to email wallis and wallis and bosleys for some photos ,but I always get "sorry sir we dont send phtos over the web" well up yours then , Rob

ps you can have mine for the bargain price of £500 (pairs are worth more than singles )Rob.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X