Helmet visor, incendiary bomb disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet visor, incendiary bomb disposal

I have been trying to find information on these visors. From what little I can find they were used for face protection when dealing with incendiary bombs during WW2. Were they issued by a home front group (which one?) or were they a private purchase? Would they have been used by bomb disposal crews, ARP, or by the general population? Is there any photographic documentation of them in use, or in magazine advertisements, etc? Any information or help would be appreciated.

Here is an example, but is it odd to have a medical or Red Cross helmet with a bomb disposal mask?

http://www.monsmilitaryantiques.co.u...em.php?id=1215

hello
    excuse my bad english
    I'm not sure that eyes and nose of a "normal" man can coincide with the holes of this visor
    I hope you understand, not easy to explain...
    in Fance, we have these sort of fakes for Adrian helmet
    cordially
    Didier

Comment

I understand what you are saying. Perhaps it is for people with long, dangling noses. I think the mask must line up with the eyes, however, or it is very poorly made!

Comment

Hello
        I have not read yet this link
        may be you can find something ??
        http://ia700308.us.archive.org/12/it...00deanuoft.pdf
        cordially
        Didier

Comment

is this similar to the Wilmer Eye shield that attaches to US WW1 helmets?

Comment

Originally posted by grndevil44 View Post
            is this similar to the Wilmer Eye shield that attaches to US WW1 helmets?
            Same idea (to protect the eyes) but the Wilmer eye shield was earlier - this I believe is WW2 vintage for non-military use.

I still having found any kind of documentation. Perhaps there is a patent on it.

Comment

Check this site. I believe that's your face shield. Given that it's in such good shape vs. the brodie it's on, I'd hazard that it is a mismatching of the shield to an available helmet.

Comment

Ah yes, Radio-Guy. He's got some really unique face protection, including the Wilmer eye shield. I have already gotten a NOS visor, and now am looking for a MkII to put it on. I'm just interested in how the visor came about and who it was issued to. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X