Advice on buying an Officer British battle blouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on buying an Officer British battle blouse

Found this 1949 Miller & Gabbe Ltd jacket for sale. Its $120. Think its worth it? I'm interested because I have very little British items and I put on public displays. I'd really appreciate some advice. Seems to be legit but then again I'm no expert. There is no name in the uniform.

For a 49 pattern im thinking a tad too much, i pressume your paying for the bling on his chest, without that id say 40 quid, but i tend to see this pattern rising in price depending on original insignia applied. Not many dealers in the uk list 49 on there sites as the market for 49 is low.

Comment

I would agree with dragnet, it seems a bit pricey for a 49 pattern, though it is a very good example and the rank patches and all the medal ribbons do make it appealing. Regimental badged 49 patterns can attract a good price and this almost falls into that category, but still too pricey IMHO.

Comment

HI there , buy it - if that is the price and theres no auction fees / heavy postage costs or other add ons buy it .

It is a high rank and has seen a lot of service ( medal ribbons ) it looks great and u would have a lot of fun researching the guy , at the price they are asking its about all its money ( now ) but its gona cost u less than a decent night on the town and I genuinely think this would be a far sighted investment .....?

just my thoughts now shoot me down

Comment

Note the ribbon bar includes the CVSM ribbon, which makes for a Canadian connection. It also has a 1953 Coronation ribbon, and and Efficiency Decoration ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by grandads-kitbag View Post
            HI there , buy it - if that is the price and theres no auction fees / heavy postage costs or other add ons buy it .

It is a high rank and has seen a lot of service ( medal ribbons ) it looks great and u would have a lot of fun researching the guy , at the price they are asking its about all its money ( now ) but its gona cost u less than a decent night on the town and I genuinely think this would be a far sighted investment .....?

just my thoughts now shoot me down
            Yea I've been really torn on what to do. My real focus is WWII and this post war. But it is a high rank and definitely a neat piece to research. However, with the holidays I'm broke, plus I'm buying a house soon and the fiancee will castrate me if she ever found out (but she hasn't found out about all the new guns I purchased throughout the year ) I do appreciate all the help you've been giving me. I better save the cash for another buy. If anyone wants the link to the item for purchase I'll give it to you.

Comment

The CVSM ribbon should have a bar on it denoting over seas service, the palm leaf on the victory medal; denotes mentioned in dispatches

Comment

The "palm leaf" is actually an oak leaf and the ribbon is that of the 39-45 War Medal, not the Victory medal although is does indeed denote having been "Mentioned in Despatches". He may well have been mentoned more than once but only one emblem is ever worn.

Of note is the WW1 British War Medal ribbon that is worn incorrectly at the end of the group. It should be between the MBE/OBE/CBE ribbon (first one) and the 39-45 Star ribbon (second one). Slightly surprising that such a senior officer would make such a mistake and also surprising that there is no WW1 Victory Medal ribbon either although it was possible to earn just the BWM.

Comment

Originally posted by skypilot View Post
                  The "palm leaf" is actually an oak leaf and the ribbon is that of the 39-45 War Medal, not the Victory medal although is does indeed denote having been "Mentioned in Despatches". He may well have been mentoned more than once but only one emblem is ever worn.

Of note is the WW1 British War Medal ribbon that is worn incorrectly at the end of the group. It should be between the MBE/OBE/CBE ribbon (first one) and the 39-45 Star ribbon (second one). Slightly surprising that such a senior officer would make such a mistake and also surprising that there is no WW1 Victory Medal ribbon either although it was possible to earn just the BWM.
                  I don't think the last one is WW1, it doesn't have the thin black lines between the blue and white. I'm sure I've seen this ribbon before but can't find it in the books I have to hand, possibly colonial or foreign award
                  Lee

Comment

the ribbon looks like a dutch medal Order of Orange Nassau
                    marcel

Comment

Bd

Buy it. That is an excellent price.

The original owner of the tunic is traceable. The owner received an MBE or OBE (Military), a mention in dispatches, and the the Order of Orange Nassau. These awards to a Brigadier General in 1949 would allow you to pin it down.

The only thing missing is a small maple leaf on the Canada Voluntary Service Medal, but these are fairly easy to find and inexpensive.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroraider View Post
                        Buy it. That is an excellent price.

The original owner of the tunic is traceable. The owner received an MBE or OBE (Military), a mention in dispatches, and the the Order of Orange Nassau. These awards to a Brigadier General in 1949 would allow you to pin it down.

The only thing missing is a small maple leaf on the Canada Voluntary Service Medal, but these are fairly easy to find and inexpensive.
                        your right it is and i think i got a name and sent it to 24th_infantry!VERY nice tunic!

Comment

The rank badges are unusual. On examples I have seen of this rank in museums, the pips are usually smaller - for a better fit. There always seem to be exceptions.

Medal ribbons - errors occured. I have a VC winner's BD blouse from family and he mounted his VC ribbon upside down (he did it on another of his tunics too).

I cannot say if that one was a put together one or as worn. Post-war definitely less collectible.

Colin in Canada

Originally posted by 24th_infantry View Post
                          Found this 1949 Miller & Gabbe Ltd jacket for sale. Its $120. Think its worth it? I'm interested because I have very little British items and I put on public displays. I'd really appreciate some advice. Seems to be legit but then again I'm no expert. There is no name in the uniform.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X