No announcement yet.

Can 3ID Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calico did not deliver the R Wpg R printed titles to Ordnance Stores until the late summer of 1944. There is no way the R Wpg R could have printed titles on D-Day.
    It is difficult to see exactly what material titles are made of in photos, and the tricks of lighting and effects of the film can further distort the determination. There were several different patterns of the embroidered pattern, but until very late in the war they were black field. The dark green was not adopted until sometime in late spring or summer 1945.

Comment

I would hope you would answer. Thank you!!!

I did not know about the the delievery date of the printed titles.

The photo looks like the painted variety (second top left on my original post). Do you know when did the vendor deliver these?? The painted titles appear to have a longer arc than the printed arc.

I have seen other photos that show the clear long arc vice the clear short arc on the posted embroidered title. Below is one from the US version of Militaria Magazine No. 17 page 15. The caption says it is a picture of the battalion CO taken Jun-Jul 1944 near La Bergerie. The title is a blow-up of the painted title.

I won't belabor the point further, because it doesn't really matter because all original Canadian printed titles are nice.

Thank you again!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by brooksbz; 02-17-2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

There isn't a specific date mentioned, but that is probably because Calico was pressured to get the titles in the army's hands. They were way behind with orders. There is documentation about the error made when the medium green title was made and found unacceptable. It was then that Calico was required to make a new title for the R Wpg R. Tho medium green were delivered in April of 1944.
        There were several varieties of the embroidered title, some with big arcs and others smaller. Some are almost flat.
        Could you post an image of the back of your printed title?

Comment

Sorry, it wasn't clear in the reply. There was an error title that was medium green, and it was not acceptable. But Calico couldn't print the black on the fabric they were using to make titles so thye had to use another type of material. This meant that the R Wpg R only had the embroidered ones at D-Day.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the front and back of some various British and Canadian titles. I never noticed before but there are many variations in the materials used to manufacture the fronts and backs. The back of the painted RWR is different than the back of the printed RWR. There is not much info on painted titles, I believe the painted titles pre-date the printed titles. IMO the painted titles date from 1943 (see the topic in the British militaria Forum).
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are some British printed and painted titles for comparision. Notice the different materials. The backing of the painted title has come off so there is no use posting a picture. The backing of the printed one looks like all the rest.
              Attached Files

Comment

The title identified as painted in your image is reproduction. It looks like the pattern coming out of the Netherlands. Note the incorrect size, compared to the authorized printed example, and the incorrect font with rounded letters and the issue with the G. It is also missing the cut guidelines, and is poorly cut (note the angular edges).
                Last edited by Grizzly; 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Check the back of your Canadian printed titles. The RCOC title is the early base fabric. Note the coarse texture, almost ribbing in the material. The R Wpg Rif and the South Alberta have the same thinner backing material without the pronounced texture. They are printed on the second type of fabric that was used and had a thinner/smoother backing material.

Comment

I do not agree with your assessment regarding the printed title. I have handled many other painted titles and printed titles over my lifetime and this one is entirely consistent with those.

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbz View Post
                      I do not agree with your assessment regarding the printed title. I have handled many other painted titles and printed titles over my lifetime and this one is entirely consistent with those.
                      We will have to agree to disagree. It is a fantasy piece. There are no known authorized examples in any major collection of such painted titles, nor any documentation in the War Diaries or archives that those titles were acquired. The title is not held in the Royal Winnipeg Rifles Museum. No known examples of that title have been found on a period tunic.
                      Painted titles were not acquired or authorized by the Canadian army. I would certainly like to see other examples of Canadian painted titles.

Comment

Painted titles are exceedingly rare few examples survive and there is not much in the literature about them. I am not surprised there is not much information in the archives about them.

The title does have cut marks on the edges. The title is cut close and it is hard to see like some of my other ones. Under a microscope the paint is is exactly the same as the RA title. Since all of the painted titles were made in England then this consistent. I have never seen a British painted title on a British BD either but British painted titles do exist. I also have three or four different types of backing materials in my collection. We all know than many types of unoffical titles were manufactured during the early war years, so it is not a stretch to see a painted RWR title just as it is not a stretch to see a painted RA title.

The purpose of this this thread was to have a fun discussion about Canadian titles. Since I am the only one posting pictures I believe I am the only one making a good faith effort to discuss the topic and attempted to make case for one title based on posted examples. In response, you have referred to many types of titles not published in the literature and posted zero examples on which to base your claims. I can't prove it is real any more than you can prove it is fake, all I can argue is that is consistent with other known types of the period.

I have posted enough examples. You may disagree with my conclusions but based on your comments, you have no basis to case to call the title a fantasy piece. I have had that title for twenty years and it came with most of the other titles. I may have paid $5 for it so it is no big deal. Since there is so little information on this topic, too bad there is not more to discuss.
                        Last edited by brooksbz; 02-25-2015, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X