Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coat, outer, 1943 any info?

Hello forum,

for sale on a well known site is this "coat outer" 1943 dated.

Does anybody knows who used it ??
    Is there also a "coat inner" ??

link to eBay

HI yep , spotted this too , I may be way out with this but it looks to me like UK made for U.S troops / Navy ??? its just got that look ......?

now shoot me down

Comment

That was my initial thought too until I saw the label. The "Crow's Foot" arrow is a British War Department acceptance mark indicating approval for service (Canada and Australia etc. had different but similar marks for their items). An item made for the US would not have that. Also, the label nomenclature is of the typical British style whereas British made US items would have the standard US style labelling.

Certain items were indeed made in the UK for US personnel and these can often be found for sale. Some items are rarer than others but the most common ones are items of web equipment.

Whilst I can offer no definitive answer on what the jacket IS, I can say with reasonably certainty what it isn't.

Comment

Found this on "The Militaria Dealers" site. Word search "coat" and it is about half way down the page. Looks to be the same thing:

"1944 Dated British Made "Jeep" Coat. Large Size

Correctly named “Coat, Outer”, these are much better known as “The Jeep Coat”.
        Manufactured in Britain of waterproof Poplin with a wool lining they were also produced here for the US Army where they were known as “The Mackinaw”.
        Heavy and quite smart in appearance this later war style was made with an adjustable half belt and slash side pockets in contrast to earlier patch pockets."

Comment

I'm not convinced this is made for the US troops, as all other British made items for the US I've seen in the past are marked so. They will then show details showing the US sizing for instance, and lack the WD inspection stamps.

I still believe this is an (less known) pure british clothing item.

And regarding the marks "outer"... that also puzzles me...is there also a cout "INNER" ??

Comment

Originally posted by Naaficook View Post
            I'm not convinced this is made for the US troops, as all other British made items for the US I've seen in the past are marked so. They will then show details showing the US sizing for instance, and lack the WD inspection stamps.

I still believe this is an (less known) pure british clothing item.

And regarding the marks "outer"... that also puzzles me...is there also a cout "INNER" ??
            I believe the description from the dealer's site says "ALSO made for US troops". As for 'inner' coat, wouldn't that be the uniform blouse/jacket?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
            X