The White Horse of Hanover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The White Horse of Hanover?

I need some opinions on this one, is it the back badge (actually worn on the crown) of the 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys), or hopefully, is it an NCO's arm badge?
    The two marks on the line are 1" apart. It is silver plated but looks a bit brassy shot in the natural light of a beautiful Kernow sunset.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim Maclean; 08-31-2004, 03:43 PM. Reason: Add the photo!

No photo's shown up, but Id've thought that if it was silver plated then it'd be an arm badge.

I'll try & locate the various articles that I've got on these.

Comment

Sorry about the lack of photo - senior moment

Comment

Looks like an "early pattern" arm badge of 3rd The Kings own Hussars, produced in silver & in white metal. Should be around 2" long, or a bit more.

The illustration comes from an article by E. J. Absolon appearing in "The Bulletin, Military Historical Society, Vol. IX, No. 35, February 1959 (long before you were born young James?).

The horse labelled "9" shown as 5th Dragoon Guards (Princess Charlottes Own), & reference made to a postcard dated of 1900 showing it.

"16" is the "early pattern" 3rd Kings Hussars, & I've chopped off "17" which is a "the design as worn now", a small horse of the 3rd Hussars, West Yorks, POW's Yorkshire Regiment cap badge style.

Comment is made re having heard of photos taken in 1895 & 1902 showing a rampant horse being worn on the sergeants stable jacket (rather than the running horse (or galloping or cantering or whatever horses do).

I've got a few references to arm badges, they're dotted around as articles, photocopies etc, but I'd bought about 1/2 dozen of these bulletins years ago because of the articles on badges etc - this one just happened to be at hand.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
          The illustration comes from an article by E. J. Absolon appearing in "The Bulletin, Military Historical Society, Vol. IX, No. 35, February 1959 (long before you were born young James?).
          Er, no it wasn't, but I wasn't getting pocket money then either.

Thanks for the help, certainly looks like 3rd KOH. Size is about right.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X