Brit Staff Officers Cap - WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brit Staff Officers Cap - WWII?

Inspired by Lee G's thread on a similar cap, here's one that I've got.

Unlike Lee's, it's got a red backing to the badge, instead of blue, a brown leather chinstrap with brass fittings, the underside of the peak is covered in the same fabric as the rest of the cap, & it has leather buttons which I've thought were an early WWII feature, as they were on battledress.

The cap has a wicker hoop, about 5 or 6 mm in diameter rather than wire stiffening to the crown, & there is a material that rustles, within the lining.
    The inside has simply a cloth band, rather than a leather one, & a concentric pattern to the stitching, although of a different pattern to Lee's.

Is this a WWII one, would the absence of a leather band indicate that it was intended for use in a particularly warm clime?

"Extra quality" "Christies London".
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Nice cap! It does look WW2 to me--just the shape of it and the lining look more WW2 than WW1.
      Maybe for the CBI theater of war?

Comment

Hello Leigh,
        Are the buttons leather? If so you have a very nice looking Generals visor cap.

Cheers
        Gary

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
        Inspired by Lee G's thread on a similar cap, here's one that I've got.

Unlike Lee's, it's got a red backing to the badge, instead of blue, a brown leather chinstrap with brass fittings, the underside of the peak is covered in the same fabric as the rest of the cap, & it has leather buttons which I've thought were an early WWII feature, as they were on battledress.

The cap has a wicker hoop, about 5 or 6 mm in diameter rather than wire stiffening to the crown, & there is a material that rustles, within the lining.
        The inside has simply a cloth band, rather than a leather one, & a concentric pattern to the stitching, although of a different pattern to Lee's.

Is this a WWII one, would the absence of a leather band indicate that it was intended for use in a particularly warm clime?

"Extra quality" "Christies London".

Comment

OK so I'm a schmuck and can't read the details properly It is a very Nice Generals Cap! The leather buttons are associated with Colonel and above and the red band makes it a General.

Cheers
          Gary

Originally posted by Gary Cain
          Hello Leigh,
          Are the buttons leather? If so you have a very nice looking Generals visor cap.

Cheers
          Gary

Comment

Thanks, but I don't think it's a generals, as the red band with dog in a basket badge was worn WWII period by colonels & brigadiers, generals & field marshals wore crossed batons / crossed sword & baton within crowned wreath. Leather buttons seem to have been a WWII affectation on battledress by some officers, so matching buttons on the cap would fit in with the BD. The buttons are of the woven leather half ball appearance, but are actually one piece leather with the woven design embossed.
            Am I right in thinking that this will be WWII period, rather than earlier?

Wish there was a name in it................

Comment

Hi Leigh,

Your cap is the Service Dress cap for the ranks of Colonel to Field Marshall. What gives it its rank is what insignia is attached to the front. For a Field Marshall it would be the crossed batons surrounded by leaves, for General Officers it is a baton and a crossed sword and for Brigadiers and Colonels (your one) a lion on a crown.

I have a few of these in my collection, all for the rank of Brigadiers and Colonels and I can tell you this cap is much more likely to be pre-WW2 than WW2. The style of it would suggest this and I have seen alot of WW1/pre-WW1 private purchase caps with provenance with the same Christie's tailors mark.

Thanks from Jack.
              Last edited by Jack Dutton; 09-02-2004, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks - any idea why Lee G's has the badge on blue backing & mine is on red?

Comment

Aren't colonels and above referred to as 'Late such and such regt., could be something to do with the original regiment, ie red-infantry, blue possibly RE, RA etc.

Comment

I would'nt have thought so, but that could be right. Spot the deliberate mistake - mine has got dark blue backing to the badge. I'm not usually this bad until evening.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                      I would'nt have thought so, but that could be right. Spot the deliberate mistake - mine has got dark blue backing to the badge. I'm not usually this bad until evening.
                      It was spotted, but then the gist of your post came through and who the hell am I to comment on 'senior' moments. If it wasn't a senior moment, use more water.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X