Reverse vs Obverse - British & Canadian Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse vs Obverse - British & Canadian Medals

I have noticed on some WWII British and Canadian Medal Bars that the Defense Medal and the War Medal are worn with the reverse showing oppose to the obverse with George, and was wondering if this was common practice, personal preference or a mistake? I have to admit that the reverse side of these medals are better looking.

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by Market Garden; 08-31-2004, 06:55 AM.

Brit & Cdn Medals

I have seen this the odd time at Nov 11th parades. Most were mounted like that by the wearer. Lots of vets didn't have a clue about medals and couldn't care less. A tailor would never make that mistake but E/bay dealers will when they make up a group to sell.

Comment

Ed:

Thank you for the reply. So it is safe to assume that they were probably wore them that way by mistake.

John

Comment

Reverse vs Obverse

It would be rare but possible. Most veterans receive a booklet with their medal showing how to mount & wear their medals (Canada does this) but some veterans or their wives haven't a clue about medals and could sew them on the bar wrong. Any that are court mounted (by tailors etc) usually are done in the proper manner. I have seen groups made up by dealers that have wrong ribbons, fake medals. Just be careful out there.

Comment

Obverse & Reverse

This is the booklet

Comment

Hi Ed:

I realize that these awards are not in the correct order of precedence, but here is an example of what I am talking about...the reverse side showing.

John
            Attached Files

Comment

medals

They look genuine. 3 of them should be silver and stars brass. UK medals are copra nickel. Needs a CVSM bar.

Comment

They're mounted all wrong by the look of it - the ribbons passing through rather than over the top bar of the mount. Could be the sort of thing that an old fellah or old dear might do.
                It's not beyond possibility that an individual may want to display the reverse rather than obverse if he's an anti monarchist or whatever.
                Showing the reverse was quite common in earlier times, I have photos of a few Victorian & Edwardian types showing a row of 1/2 dozen or so, all showing the reverse, but the reverse designs tended be be very attractive in those days, & the suspension swivelled to easily allow this.
                As an aside, were'nt iron crosses originally meant to display the "1813" side as obverse, though this was generally ignored & the "1939" side formally authorised as the obverse during Hit;er's time? Have I got that 'round my neck?

Comment

Definitely the wrong order, don't know what they're mounted on but it doesn't look like a medal bar.
                  I would imagine that at some time in the past these were bought unmounted and were mounted 'do-it-yourself' in attractive(sic) and symetrical arrangement without any consideration to the correct order.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X