Canadian FS cap 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian FS cap 1941

A recent pick up, nicely maker and date marked with the CA mark and the owners name and service number written inside the liner.
    Attached Files

Could you confirm that there is no alpha character in the number? Or is the first character a H?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly View Post
      Could you confirm that there is no alpha character in the number? Or is the first character a H?
      It appears to be 1 1 4 2? 3 2 8 5 and the name is J W TALLENTIRE as well as I can read it. The badge is not the original to it, just the only Canadian badge I have in my collection and if it is possible to establish his unit I will acquire the correct badge for it.

The first #2 is uncertain and might be something else.

Comment

Second World War Canadian service numbers had an alpha prefix. Eg, A1234 or H13456 etc. With only numbers I don't think the soldier who put his name/service number in the cap was Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly View Post
          Second World War Canadian service numbers had an alpha prefix. Eg, A1234 or H13456 etc. With only numbers I don't think the soldier who put his name/service number in the cap was Canadian.
          Thanks for the info as the intricacies of Canadian service numbers is not something I know about.

Comment

Does anyone know WHEN the letter prefix was instituted?
            Canadian serial numbers in WWI were all numeric.
            So if the alpha change took place at the beginning of WWII for example, this fellow may have been a regular prior to the war.

Comment

Letter prefixes were introduced early in the war. By the time this cap was made and issued, all Canadian numbers included an alpha prefix. Canadian numbers without alpha prefixes were issued very early in the war, but were for the permanent force, and only ran from 1 to 9999. (See Regimental Numbers of the Canadian Army 1936-1960, Clive Law, Service Publications)
              There were no Canadian numbers that went as high as the number in the FS cap illustrated. Six numbers was the max for SWW Canadian regimental numbers.
              Last edited by Grizzly; 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for that info...much appreciated!

Comment

Thanks for the clarification on the service numbers.

Comment

Odd though that it still has it's Canadian buttons? Too lazy to change them I assume.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X