Research..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research..

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum,but here goes..
    I'm looking to find out more info on my grandfathers military service in the Royal Engineers,and wondered if there is any way in the UK to find out what units he served in during the war?And any other info related to him.
    Any help appreciated,
    Thanks.Lynton.

WWII records are difficult to access. The very least you'll need are his service details, i.e. number, rank & name. And the RE was a huge organisation then. Gale Force 10! (Wind's getting up)

Comment

Assuming that grandad is deceased, fax all the info you have to:

208 573 9078.

This is the fax number for:

MOD Defence Records,
      Bourne Avenue,
      Hayes,
      Middklesex,
      UB3 1RF,
      England.
      (Phone 0181 5733831).

They will post or fax back Form 1000 (9/91), "Request for Service Details of a deceased Ex-Serviceman/woman, Certificate of Kinship" & a search document which will request details such as names, army number, regiment or corps, date of enlistment, rank, reason for leaving the army (demob, medical discharge etc), details of disability or wound, did he receive a disability pension for wounds, date of leaving UK for permanent residence abroad etc).

The next of kin of grandad completes the form, or if somebody else completes it the next of kin must supply written authority for info to be released.
      Enclose also evidence of the ex-servicemans death (such as a photocopy of death certificate) if he died after discharge from the service.
      Assuming that the info you give is enough to identify grandad, this'll start off the process of obtaining details of medal entitlement, units served in etc.
      It'll cost about £25, which is non-refundable
      Last edited by leigh kitchen; 08-30-2004, 09:28 AM. Reason: Ammended phone nos. to domestic codes - sorry guv'ner, fought you was a yank.

Comment

Research.

Thanks for the replies,it sounds as difficult as I thought it would be!
        By next of kin,does that mean his wife,or my father,or will they allow me to do it?
        Unfortunately.nobody in the family knows much about his service,or knows where any documents/medals are now!
        I think its a shame to let his service be forgotten,
        Cheers,Lynton.

Comment

Next of kin here will be wife, followed in precedence by eldest son or daughter, next eldest sonor daughter, working down to grandchildren (I'm not sure if males still take precedence over females in these cases), etc - grandmother can supply written authority for you to carry out the research. send a letter or fax it, & you'll get a form with a unique reference number back, to complete & return. I'm not too clued up about this sort of thing, but perhaps a check of birth, death certificates etc may prove fruitful?

Comment

Thanks..

For both of your replies,you help is appreciated!
            Cheers,lynton.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X