Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Medals - Research

Good Day.

I was given my great grandfathers WW1 medals, they are the normal 3 medals that everyone got, what im trying to do is find more information about him from the information i have.

All that is inscribed on the rear of the medals is

PTE D. Robertson
    WORC R.

Where would be the best place to start with this information

Thanks

That would indicate his service number 7757, rank of Private and serving with the Worcester Regiment.

For more info re: the Regiment: http://www.worcestershireregiment.co...in=inc/welcome

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thanks so much for that info, i have now the task of finding his WW1 Campaign Medal index card so i can make a small display

for the record he was awarded

1914/15 Star
      British War Medal
      Victory Medal

Thanks again for all your help

Originally posted by Ian Jewison
      That would indicate his service number 7757, rank of Private and serving with the Worcester Regiment.

For more info re: the Regiment: http://www.worcestershireregiment.co...in=inc/welcome

/Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Chub8916
        Good Day.

I was given my great grandfathers WW1 medals, they are the normal 3 medals that everyone got...
        A WWI trio is nothing to sneeze at. Your Great- Grandfather earned every one of those. That Mons Star meant something.
        I'm glad to see that you got his medals and are going to research and display them.

Allan

Comment

Hi: just to clarify what Allan mentioned - technically the "Mons Star" is the 1914 star - for service Aug-Nov. 1914. Still, the 1914-15 star is nothing to sneeze at - your Great-Grandfather was in for the long haul!

You can download his medal index card here: http://http://www.documentsonline.na...chives.gov.uk/

As his last name is Robertson, it might not be online yet - but should be by the fall. It costs GBP3.50 (about 7 bucks or so) and downloads as a PDF document that you can print out. You can also find a researcher who can pull his full service documents - usually this costs between 15 and 20 pounds, depending on who you hire.

Comment

The rot sets in

Originally posted by Chub8916
            Thanks so much for that info, I have now the task of finding his WW1 Medal Index Card so I can make a small display.
            Uh ho, here we go. Then you'll want a cap badge... and shoulder titles... then a house extension for the Flanders diorama display - complete with Lewis Gun team, flickering horizon and sound effects. Is that what you want? 'Cause that's what'll 'appen!

Comment

and i'll want a trench system, thanks for all the help, i tried the National Archives but as it was mentioned, the Letter R isnt up yet.. and yes i do want a cap badge and a shoulder titles for that time period. I'm really doing this for my mother since these medals were always stored in an old box in her top drawer, and i used to ask to look at them when i was a kid. so ill get them mounted with other items and present them back to her all nice and cased.

Thanks

Craig

Originally posted by Tony Farrell
              Uh ho, here we go. Then you'll want a cap badge... and shoulder titles... then a house extension for the Flanders diorama display - complete with Lewis Gun team, flickering horizon and sound effects. Is that what you want? 'Cause that's what'll 'appen!

Comment

Good Day Gentlemen.

Has anyone got any idea whether group photos or the like were evertaken at bootcamp before these guys got shipped out, seems my mother or relatives have no photos of this man. where on earth would i start, i was thinking once i had his service record i may be able to contact the regiment and see if they have anything?..

what do you think.

thanks

Comment

If you have no photos of the bloke, then you wouldn't know what he looks like even if you were to locate a contemporary company/battalion portrait - unless they were named by row underneath. You'd need to go to the archive at the museum and see if there's any of this stuff left. Bear in mind, tons of stuff was binned when the regiments amalgamated. Personally, I think you're urinating in to a Force 8 with this one, but stranger things happen at sea.

Worcestershire Regiment Museum
                  Foregate Street
                  Worcester
                  Worcestershire
                  WR1 1DT

Tel: +44(0)1905 25371
                  Last edited by Tony Farrell; 08-30-2004, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I disagree...sort of...

There's hope. The regiment today has a regimental historian and maintains a small museum which has a LOT of stuff. I know, I've seen it.
                    Also, there was a Worcestershire Regt. in the Great War book published which one can find and of course there are legions of Worcestershire collectors who will help you.
                    Recently there was a Worcestershire Regt. collar badge for sale on the estand.
                    Try the Great War Forum at:http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?act=idx

Comment

lol what im hoping for is that i find his "group photo" at least and can use that in the display.

thanks for all your help

Comment

If you know or find out through research where he came from, local papers etc of the era may be of use, particularly if wounded or killed.

There are modern private publications listing those killed or who served from particular localities for some areas, but it's a mtter of striking lucky - depends if a local historian has been motivated to research & publish.

"Murpheys" CD was put on the market a few years ago, it contains photos of thousands of identified WW1 serviceman & women - but that's still a long shot given the numbers involved.

Despite becoming obsolete in the 20's the Worcestershire Regiments cap badge is fairly common, & so are the shoulder titles.

I take it great grandad surived the war - he'd be easier to research if he was a casualty.......

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X