medals, what are they ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paddywhack View Post
    id put a guess in at 900 sterling plus!but look on those sites i gave u ame you might be able to get one for sale!
    I will, I will, thank you again !!! Forum will have priority on e-stand when I sell them

Comment

Originally posted by Marc verstraete View Post
      Hi I came across a small collection of british medals and badges.
      Somme are obvious, others are unknown to me.
      As i'm out of the collecting world for 5 years now, I need help with identification and approximate values ...
      thank you in advance :-)
      Marc
      This is a Military Cross (in case you didn't already know)

Comment

mark if your looking to sell these can you say if any of these are named?when it comes to british medals this is one of thee most important things that can effect the price of a medal!

Comment

Paddywhack is right: names affect value, especially for the India general service medals: worth more to Brits than to Indians, as the latter are very hard to research. let me have the names and I'll let you know what I can find out.

The Military Cross should be named too, but some replacements were not and in the '70s or '80s the Mint released a number - 'extras' un named or with 'Specimen' stamped on them. This will lower its value as well.

I would strongly recommend selling them through a dealer, not on e-stamd!

My tuppence 'orth
          Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
            Paddywhack is right: names affect value, especially for the India general service medals: worth more to Brits than to Indians, as the latter are very hard to research. let me have the names and I'll let you know what I can find out.

The Military Cross should be named too, but some replacements were not and in the '70s or '80s the Mint released a number - 'extras' un named or with 'Specimen' stamped on them. This will lower its value as well.

I would strongly recommend selling them through a dealer, not on e-stamd!

My tuppence 'orth
            Peter
            Hello Peter,

Sorry but the Military Cross shouldn't be named, no Great War Military Crosses were issued named. Some were privately engraved, my opinion and many other peoples is that an unnamed military cross is easier to sell and worth slightly more as they can be used to complete groups.

No genuine replacement cross would be stamped “specimen” period.

The fact it is unnamed does not hurt the value in fact it helps it.

Adam

Comment

in regards selling them as british medal colletor getting a first look on estand is always great but the best prices would be got on ebay a dealer will give you dealer prices not market value!

Comment

ebay & Dix Noonan Webb (dnw) would be good places to check prices.

Dix Noonan Webb has a very good archives for all there past sold items.

if you google "dnw" and scroll down, you should see "Search Catalogue Archive"
                ( but your need to take away about 25% to get the price after fees)

Comment

Before any of that, check the naming on the edge of the other medals - you may well have a couple of groups there and thus not individual medals. Groups are always worth more than the individual break up price.

Check the medals, post the naming details here and we can have a look at what information may be available.

That OBE for example looks like it could be researchable given that it appears to be named.

Get all the information together, THEN approach a dealer.

Comment

Hello All, thank you very much for all the info, I have found most of what I needed trough the sites you have given me and other links. The metals are all named to different people, mostly to RE members.
                    The MC is not named, the OBE has DOVER - Folkhamston on it ..... Plus the silver / sterling stamps.
                    I have an non negligible offer on the whole lot thank you to the potential new owner. And thank you to the forum for being as helpful as it has always been .
                    It is nice to see the forum has improved and not declined since I left as a moderator years ago to start my sail around the world trip :-)
                    Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc verstraete View Post
                      Hello All, thank you very much for all the info, I have found most of what I needed trough the sites you have given me and other links. The metals are all named to different people, mostly to RE members.
                      The MC is not named, the OBE has DOVER - Folkhamston on it ..... Plus the silver / sterling stamps.
                      I have an non negligible offer on the whole lot thank you to the potential new owner. And thank you to the forum for being as helpful as it has always been .
                      It is nice to see the forum has improved and not declined since I left as a moderator years ago to start my sail around the world trip :-)
                      Marc
                      no problem!glad i can help!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X