What type of badge is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of badge is this?

Hello Guys, I just wanted to know what badge this is on my great gandfathers hat on the photo? i dont know any information what infantary or regiment he was in. How will i be able to find out? any ideas welcome

Hope you can help me,

best regards

Jon,

PLEASE LOOK AT THE LINK! http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...=521449#521449

Looks like the Duke of Wellington's, have a look at the thread on infantry badges.

Jim

Comment

Cap Badge Question

HIYA , yep the capbadge is the DUKE OF WELLINGTONS or WESTRIDING as it is some times called .
      The main recruiting area is west yorkshire ,BATLEY ,HALIFAX ,HUDDERSFIELD ETC but as a great war sevice man he may well of come from out side this area , the other name of WESTRIDING regt
      has nothing to do with horses !! Years back the county of YORKSHIRE was split in to 3 zones , areas known as RIDINGS i.e EAST ,NORTH and WEST
      best wishes ,Michael.
      Originally posted by Jim Maclean
      Looks like the Duke of Wellington's, have a look at the thread on infantry badges.

Jim

Comment

Yes Great! so will this lead me for researching on his group batt, Inf, ect?

Thanks agian

Jon.

Comment

oh i got this posted to me on the axis history forum

"I am no expert, but it looks suspiciously like a Royal Artillery badge to me. The chap on the right could have a light infantry one."

Comment

I go along with Duke of Boots - the only regiment it could be from the badge silhouette - as long as they're British & not one of the Colonial units that used the same design other than the wording on the scrolls.

Comment

Dukes Capbadge

Hello Jon ,
              Leigh is bang on with what he said ,the DUKES capbadge shape is very s
              distinct , very few other units have that shape , the ROYAL ARTILLERY is close but you photo is quite clear , Leigh , if ya read this mate , i did not know about the colonials ?? i have a cloth title ` dukes ` red letters on a buff colour backing was told its south AFRICAN ??? does this mean any thing to you please ? i presumed it was a " DUKE OF .something unit " do you think it is a wellingtons unit ? best wishes ,Michael.
              P.S ...Jon , sorry was not trying to hijack your thread ,
              as you live in Leeds , do you know Martin ,the dealer in the Merrion centre ?/
              Originally posted by leigh kitchen
              I go along with Duke of Boots - the only regiment it could be from the badge silhouette - as long as they're British & not one of the Colonial units that used the same design other than the wording on the scrolls.

Comment

I'll have to snout around & find the info, but I think that one unit using the same badge but with different name scroll was a New Zealand unit. Figures I suppose - "Wellington". I'll check around when I get a chance & post any info that i find.

Comment

It's the Cape Town Rifles (Duke of Edinburgh's Own). That I did know without cheating!

Comment

Is there a North Island Regiment, something like that from NZ who wear a similar badge?

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                      Is there a North Island Regiment, something like that from NZ who wear a similar badge?
                      Yes.

The 5th (Wellington Rifles) Regiment. They wore almost exactly the same badge but the cap badge has a base scroll with “New Zealand” on.
                      Cheers
                      Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X