Australian Slouch Hat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Slouch Hat question

I've seen a few Australian slouch hats that have a snap on the side to hold the brim up and I've also seen the hook and loop type. My question is, are the ones with the snap military issue? Or just the hook and type are military issue?

Aussie lids used the hook system up until 1941 when the press stud was introduced, so anything with a hook and loop with a date later than 1941 should be treated with a bit of suspicion.

Comment

The crossover period where you will see both hook/eye fastener and press stud is 1941 with the majority after this period being press stud up until 1945. Some manufacturers did reintroduce the hook/eye in 1945. The press stud was used on slouch hats when manufacturing recommenced for the Korean War. Hook and Eye fasteners were reintroduced for all slouch hats after 1953 if I remember correctly.
      I have never seen a slouch hat dated 1946-1951.

Mark

Comment

Thank you for the info! It has helped a lot! A friend is selling me a Australian Army slouch hat for a good price but I was wondering if it is the real deal as most of the ones I've seen on the Internet have the hook and eye thing to hold the brim up while the one being sold to me has a press stud.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X