1945 Australian Slouch Hat - help w/color patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1945 Australian Slouch Hat - help w/color patch

Here's a hat that was brought back by a 24th Division vet, I think from occupation duty in Japan. There was a photo that showed him posing with some Australian soldiers. Apparently he got this as a souvenir. I flipped the puggaree around, it had the pleats on the bottom.

Can anyone help id the color patch? It is similar to the the Royal Australian Artillery, 6th Div or 1st Australian Division, but colors are reversed.

Also looks like a shoulder device on the side, rather than a cap badge? Was this ever offically done?

Thanks,
    Fred

P.S Here's a link to a great 31 page color patch reference that can be downloaded:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/1893154...ion=NBD4663469
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Sydney maker, dated 1945.
      Attached Files

Comment

I believe the patch is indeed Artillery,i have seen the colours around that way.
        As for the shoulder device,this was never officially done,i think its just been put there for show,i did see a slouch with the shoulder device beneath the Rising Sun badge,but as i said,this would have been done post war.
        cheers
        Mick

Comment

I believe Mick is correct, here is a link of current ones if it is of any use?

http://www.army.gov.au/Our-work/Equi...hRegister.ashx

Comment

The Australia device definitely was not worn on the turn up, this is reserved solely for the Rising Sun. As for the colour patch, I have seen the colours around this way for a member of a Anti-Tank Regiment. The rectangular patch was use by the 6th Division.
            It is probably the photos, but normally you would see the imprint from a Rising Sun on the turn up. If there isn't one, I would be more inclined to believe that the hat had never been issued and the 24th Division vet was given a brand new hat and badges by some friendly Australians.

Mark

Comment

Mick/Mark, thanks for the help. I'll take a closer look at the side to see if the imprint is there.
              99not out, thanks for the link, the same patch is in there for the 1st Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery.
              Regards,
              Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X