X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1916 Military Medal

Hello Gents;

I have a 1916 Military Medal with the rim stamped, "SPECIMEN ( X/4396)."

I don't know very much about British medals and was wondering if anyone would be so kind to tell me what this rim stamping means and what would be a normal value for a medal of this type.

Many thanks,

Clay
    Attached Files

reckon its a speicman made by the royal mint i dont have my medal year book with me at the moment but named ones start at about £275 but as its non named id put a guess at £150-200 (max) still nice though!

Comment

Many many years ago the Army Medal Office in Droitwich, supplied some museums with medals from old stock, they were impressed with the word SPECIMEN and a code number for where they were being issued. No I do not know the codes.

Marc

Comment

is there any silver hallmarks or small text from the maker on the medal? (i know spinks&sons mark their copies )

Comment

again wish i had my MYB but after doing a bit of googling and SPECIMEN is supposadly a later spink striking!they still seem to go for a fair bit!

Comment

Originally posted by paddywhack View Post
            reckon its a speicman made by the royal mint i dont have my medal year book with me at the moment but named ones start at about £275 but as its non named id put a guess at £150-200 (max) still nice though!
            I agree with the amount quoted but this example cannot be called an un-named example. Un-named would imply it was issued without a name as some were to non commonwealth personel.

This example is a speciman is just that, an example of a real medal never intended to be issued to an individual.

Comment

Gents;

The only little hallmark I can find on this medal is a very small "RM" under the shoulder of the monarch's profile.

Is that helpful information?

Comment

Originally posted by Clayton View Post
                Gents;

The only little hallmark I can find on this medal is a very small "RM" under the shoulder of the monarch's profile.

Is that helpful information?
                that would suggest the Royal Mint,does the suspender swivol at all?also unnamed ones ie blank ones would be just that unnamed and blank so thats why i think this isnt a plain blank MM that got out of the RM somehow!
                Last edited by paddywhack; 10-31-2012, 08:28 PM.

Comment

At various times over the last 50 years the Royal Mint has sold off various types of 'surplus' medals to musuems and also, I believe, on the open market. These are always marked 'Specimen' so that they cannot be later named to someone who was awarded the medal.

Comment

Hello Paddywack;

Yes the medal does swivel at the suspender. Would you be so kind to explain the meaning of that aspect?

I really appreciate all you gentlemen taking the time to explain this medal to me.

Clay

Comment

Hello clay,

There are a number of possibilities with regards to the specimen military medal. They were given to museums, regimental museum and places that wanted to display medals during the period. Sometimes they were test pieces or shown to officials.

The British also did give out unnamed military medals and distinguished conduct medals to allies during the First World War. Unnamed examples do turn up for sale.

It's more of a curio piece as collectors always want a named example. Its not named or unnamed its a specimen, I agree with paddy on the value.

Cheers Adam

Comment

Gents:

I want to thank everyone for their excellent information. I sincerely appreciate the help.

The folks on this forum are truly first class.

Many thanks to all,

Clay

Comment

The DNW sale in summer had a ton of similar marked medals. They must have come out of a Museum sell off or something.

Clayton, what makes you say it's a 1916 medal?

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                            The DNW sale in summer had a ton of similar marked medals. They must have come out of a Museum sell off or something.

Clayton, what makes you say it's a 1916 medal?
                            think he might have been referring to the year it was instituted (as per wiki!)

Comment

Originally posted by Clayton View Post
                              Hello Paddywack;

Yes the medal does swivel at the suspender. Would you be so kind to explain the meaning of that aspect?

I really appreciate all you gentlemen taking the time to explain this medal to me.

Clay
                              the lesser quality copy's generally are one piece and if it was from the Royal Mint it should swivel so that is a good sign that's it from the RM!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X