• Time
  • Show
Clear All

NZRAF escape compasse Button

hi, what did you think about this button thanks

regards

An original MI9 escape button.

Comment

Nice example. Left hand or right hand thread? i.e. which direction do you turn it to screw it together - normal way or opposite?

Comment

A nice original, wish it were in my collection!!

Comment

Looks to be a fine original example, a New Zealand button as well, very scarce

Comment

thanks

Comment

This makes me want to unscrew all the buttons I have lying around!
              Is there any way to recognise these buttons exteriorly?

JL

Comment

Very cool item and I also will be checking all my buttons! Expensive item I notice now it is on the estand.

Comment

RNZAF compass button

Unfortunately Jean-Loup there is no way externally to tell whether your holding a compass button or not, it comes down to the tried and tested method of giving it a firm left & right twist to accommodate both thread types or perhaps if it's not sewn give it a shake listening for a slight rattle!!

I doubt at the current asking price this button will sell quickly, there seems to be a lot of solder visible, has it been wrenched off & re-soldered perhaps?? To say nothing of the overly polished to the point of destruction face.

Comment

Not all buttons were threaded anti-clockwise, a real problem in trying to find one is that you can make it tighter and never find out if a compass is concealed. Also they often do not rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
                      Not all buttons were threaded anti-clockwise, a real problem in trying to find one is that you can make it tighter and never find out if a compass is concealed. Also they often do not rattle.
                      Which is why the shanks are frequently wrenched off & re-soldered. As the compass is a tight fit within the button and unlikely to move, it's the rattle of the rose you have to listen for. Excellent hearing & a quiet room are an advantage!!

Comment

There should be a difference in weight though I suspect?
                        What uniforms were these buttons worn on, and what percentage of uniforms actualy had such a button? Was it something that each aircrew personal was supposed to have one example of? How did the aircrew themselves know which button was 'the' one?

I personaly like heavily polished buttons, it shows they had a long life.

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X