Mk. III Helmet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mk. III Helmet Question

This is a Mk.III helmet that I've had for quite some time. Liner is marked "CCL 11 1943 7 1/4". It is my understanding that these were initially painted a lighter olive color but changed to a darker charcoal as the war progressed. Mine has what appears to have the lighter olive with a darker repaint. Shell markings are covered with repaint. My question is does anyone know if this is the darker wartime color or post war repaint? Thanks for looking
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

I think the first Mk3's must have been painted khaki green, then dark brown. Yours I think has been repainted in the post war colour of olive drab sometime from the mid 50's. Sometimes you see them painted just on the outside olive drab & sometimes completely inside & out.

Comment

I have to agree that this looks like a post war colour. The war-time darker brown shade has a very distinctive look on both Mk II and Mk III helmets. This is much greener and matches many post-war helmets I have seen. There also seems to be a later model chin strap with the metal end tab.

Still a nice helmet, as Mk IIIs are much rarer than the standard Mk IV that replaced them.

Matthew

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Thought it might be post war done. Must say though, the camera does show more of a green color, in natural light it appears almost as a very dark charcoal grey (best way I can describe it). Thanks again
          Last edited by pump 150; 10-16-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Maybe try taking some other pictures with a different camera setting. If the colour is in fact brown/charcoal grey then it might be the original paint.

The texture could match that of the wartime paint but, at the moment, it looks more green than brown. Perhaps natural light will show the colour more accurately.

Matthew

Comment

Paint is post-war for sure.

Comment

Hi,

Chinstrap is a Mark IV, only put on Mark IV helmet made in 1945.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X