Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info needed on a British mark 2 para helmet

Hello

A friend of my'n asked me some info about the maker BMB from an British Mark 2 para helmet from 1944.
    Does enybody know how rare this is or more info about that maker? Also a nice picture would be great. How much does one pay for a helmet like this? Where to find one? etc...

I hope somebody can help me and my friend out here.
    A large thanks in advance to all how helped.

Best regards
    Nick

BMB web strap's

Nick,
    BMB (Briggs Motor Bodies) web strap WW2 dated para helmets are the most common WW2 issue still availible.The WW2 web strap should have brass fittings not steel.
    These helmets were in use up until the demise of the "crap hat" in the early 70's - even though post war productions like CCL had been introduced from the early 50's.
    (Beware of post war belgium issue's - which in some cases have been "enhanced" with Pegasus insignia's ... Also watch for "scrubbed" or missing dates ... usually a sign of tampering)

As for price, .... it's down to ... condition (dings, knocks, scrapes etc), whether it's been repainted (even in military service), and possibly another factor being size (The larger the better).
    Expect a really nice good clean example to start around £250 upwards (minimum).

Regards

Gary J.

Comment

Hi Nick, looks like Gary was answering the same time as me.

I am often asked where to find good British Airborne helmets. To be honest there is no easy answer. Good ones do turn up on E Bay, but as always, be careful.

I take it that you mean by a MkII a leather chinstrap, fibre rimmed helmet? Expect to pay upwards of £500.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Wow guys thanks for the quike help sofar

Cheers
        Nick

Comment

Can somebody post a nice example? As I really don't know what I'm talking about.Thanks the help is much appriciated.

Cheers
          Nick

Comment

Hi Nick, here is my MkII British Airborne helmet.

Cheers, Ade.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 08-23-2004, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Liner.

Comment

Here is the third pattern helmet like Gary described. This has the same style shell, BUT has a single point chinstrap fitting to the rear, and of course, does not have the fibre band. The chinstrap is all web with a leather chin cup.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Helmet

Ade ...
                  That IS a VERY nice fibre rim helmet ....(I think we discussed the same helmet at Ramsey .....it's a cracking find)

Regards

Gary

Comment

Bolt reversals

Ade,
                    I've heard about (and seen) the strap "bolt reversal". (Pictured on the 3rd Pattern Helmet)
                    Do you know how common this was, as the only real reason to leave the bolts reversed would surely be to remove / replace the liner on a regular basis ... I would have thought. (And if the Helmet was issued with correct "guts" which were sized, why take the liner in and out ??).

Regards again ..

Gary

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                    Here is the third pattern helmet like Gary described. This has the same style shell, BUT has a single point chinstrap fitting to the rear, and of course, does not have the fibre band. The chinstrap is all web with a leather chin cup.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Jucha
                      Ade,
                      I've heard about (and seen) the strap "bolt reversal". (Pictured on the 3rd Pattern Helmet)
                      Do you know how common this was, as the only real reason to leave the bolts reversed would surely be to remove / replace the liner on a regular basis ... I would have thought. (And if the Helmet was issued with correct "guts" which were sized, why take the liner in and out ??).

Regards again ..

Gary
                      Hi Gary,

As far as I am aware this was quite a common practice. Just like the Fallschirmjager helmets it was quite a regular occurance to lose a bolt and, with the leather strapped helmets, to pull out an eyelet. It's much easier to tackle any interior work with a screwdriver than it is a spanner.
                      Hope this helps.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Hi Guys, the helmet with the reversed bolts has certainly seen a fair bit of use post war. It has a couple of layers of paint plus the insignia which are all post war done. The liner is dated 1943. The internal paint is the wartime grey-green shade. I have seen several with bolts placed in like this.

Hi Gary, the fibre rim MkII helmet was the one we chatted about at the show on Saturday

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is my Parahelmet,dated 42,I have posted it once before long time ago,but it wont hurt anyone to see it again.

Cheers
                          J.S
                          Last edited by Jørn Schmidt; 12-10-2007, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Front

Comment

Liner

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X