David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd Carpathian (2 Badges, Same Number) & Polish Cap Badges of Wladyslaw Rakowiecki.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Carpathian (2 Badges, Same Number) & Polish Cap Badges of Wladyslaw Rakowiecki.

This man served in Italy with Field Hospitals (No. 1 & No. 5, I think).

Presumably he scrounged a second badge & had it stamped up with the number of his original badge.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

3rd Carpathian Brigade

Leigh,

A nice find ......

The Carpathian Brigade (Brigade in strength at the time of the siege of Tobruk, - and approx. one year later the numbers were sufficient to expand the Carpathian title to 3rd Carpathian Division) badges look ok, but as you suggested, the numbering on the 2nd badge (4482) is not the style you would expect to see on them.

There were a few un-numbered badges about which were legitimate issues, and most probably, the chap was issued with an un-numbered, and also got an 2nd un-numbered and stamped his own "legitmate" number on one of them.

Normally, (in most cases), you should find a small 800 mark on the back (silver content mark).

Regards

Gary J ...

Comment

Hello!!

A very nice set!!

As for markings. There was as Gary said few un-numbered badges. They were produced in one city in Italy. I saw many original badges (in vets hands) with strange numbers. Some of them are also in Polish national museum.

I have an question do you have some photos off polish forc. in Itally or Africa?

Reg.

K

Comment

I've got a few such photos, but only about 5 or 6 I think, if that.

Do you want to give me some?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X