Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What VC's have you held in your own hands??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What VC's have you held in your own hands??

Hi Guys, Many years ago when i was a young child collecting all and sundry of militaria, ( anything i could get my grubby little hands on!) i had the pleasure of holding in my own two hands, GET THIS!
    The only double Victoria Cross awarded to a combatant soldier! to a
    Captain Charles Hazlitt Upham of New Zealand, ( we breed em tough down here!) it was all his medals including his campaign medals...never forget that! the deeds of that man were legendary!

Also at the same time managed to score a special postcard, dated 1979 signed by four of our VC winners including Mr Upham! needless to say this is a rather special item that is cherished!

So guys lets hear of your stories of the most famous group of medals to ever sit in your grubby little hands!
    Love to hear the stories!

Regards from New Zealand.

Hi!
    I don't care to mention the name of the full sized one, but it was awarded to a Naval captain who lost his head to a U-boat!
    I have a miniature set that belonged to a WW1 pilot as well, very cool pieces!
    Best Wishes,
    Bob
    www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Upton.

Comment

Keyworth.

Comment

I own an Original George Cross group !!

Does that count !!!!!
          lol
          Steve

Comment

Well! You did ask.

Alexander VC., Ernest Wright<O</O
            Arthur VC., Thomas
            Cambridge VC., Daniel<O</O
            Campbell VC., John Charles<O</O
            Davis VC., Gronow
            Dickson VC., Collingwood
            Gourley VC., Cyril Edward
            Gunn VC., George Ward
            Henry VC., Andrew
            Hills VC., James
            Nurse VC., George Edward
            Olpherts VC., William
            Phipps-Hornby VC., Edmond John
            Raynes VC., John Crawshaw
            Renny VC., George Alexander
            Reynolds VC., Douglas
            Smith VC., Alfred
            Stone VC., Charles Edwin
            Tombs VC., Henry
            Wallace VC., Samuel Thomas Dickson<O</O

Comment

Hi all,
              many years ago i saw one that was unissued ! crazy as it may seem the owner sent it for verification to the V.C. manufactures and they replied with a letter stating that at some time it must have been stolen from thier stock , not sure of its fate thougth.

Ashley

Comment

V.c.

This is the way I mounted them at a medal show

Comment

V.c.

Two of the Osborn daughters attending the medal show

Comment

V.c.

Me in front of display in the 60's

Comment

Holding about as close as I get.

Several years ago, the OMRS held a study day at the National Army Museum, which included a fakes and frauds seminar. A number of medals were placed on a table and your task was to determine if it was good or bad - and why.

Included in the pile was a VC group to Piper Finlater. Most of the collectors who participated throught it was bad because it looked so crude (and it's court mounting had been chopped up in preparation for remounting). John Hayward says he was sweating bullets as everyone grabbed it and played with it because it was the original VC group to Finlater. Spink was to sell it shortly thereafter for stupid money (which now looks like a bargain).

Comment

Vc , I Know Where One Is Buried

HIYA ,
                        i have been told many times that in LEEDS city grave yard ( U.K )

a great war soldier was buried with his V.C ......any suggestions
                        ( only joking , im not suggesting any late night gardening )
                        regards ,Michael.
                        Originally posted by JBFloyd
                        Holding about as close as I get.

Several years ago, the OMRS held a study day at the National Army Museum, which included a fakes and frauds seminar. A number of medals were placed on a table and your task was to determine if it was good or bad - and why.

Included in the pile was a VC group to Piper Finlater. Most of the collectors who participated throught it was bad because it looked so crude (and it's court mounting had been chopped up in preparation for remounting). John Hayward says he was sweating bullets as everyone grabbed it and played with it because it was the original VC group to Finlater. Spink was to sell it shortly thereafter for stupid money (which now looks like a bargain).

Comment

3 V.c Winners

HIYA ,
                          just come to mind , saw a local news paper clip , years ago as a kid ,
                          itwas regarding ,3 v.c winners who all worked for the local train company , one as an engine driver , one a station master the other as a porter ,the story was built around how on certain days all three could be seen ,sat around in the booking office drinking tea and chatting away!!!!!! Do you guys think it would be a big task to locate the guys details , thought it might be a nice project for the winter months , any comments please ,thanks ,Michael.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X