Major General McDonald Battle Dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major General McDonald Battle Dress

I bought a collection this weekend with a number of British officer uniforms. This is a post-WWII battledress named to Major General McDonald. I wonder if this would be R.C 'Mac" MacDonald. The awards and insignia would fit, I believe.

Non hritz
    Attached Files
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Shoulders
    Attached Files

Comment

Sir MacDonals, I should say.

Bob Hritz
      Attached Files

Comment

The buttons on the major general's collar tabs are QEII. I believe he was an honorary colonel.
        Last edited by Bob Hritz; 09-29-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Is there any way to attribute this tunic to a general MacDonald when the name tag reads McDonald? I do not know if the Mc is a proper abbreviation for Mac.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
            Is there any way to attribute this tunic to a general MacDonald when the name tag reads McDonald? I do not know if the Mc is a proper abbreviation for Mac.

Bob Hritz
            I looked up R.C. McDonald in my 1938 & 1952 Army Lists. Listed are plenty of both McDonalds and MacDonalds. The only R. McDonald listed was in the Royal Warwickshire Regt., not, of course, a Scottish unit.
            Could his last name be spelled MacDonald?

Bob Shoaf

Comment

The name label has it spelled MCDONALD. I am wondering if this is a common error for MacDonald. I think it would be correct battledress for General R.C. 'Mac" MacDonald, if the spelling error is a common one.

Bob Hritz

Comment

38523 is J F M MacDonald - if you stick 38523 MacDonald in the London Gazette search engine you get 17 hits - I only glanced at one but it'd suggest taking the time to trawl through them and see a bit more of his career and decorations.

Alistair

Comment

Thank you all, especially Alistair. You have made my day!

Bob hritz

Comment

Would the tartan trousers be proper for this battledress tunic?

Bob Hritz

Comment

the key here is the forgien awards!if you can find them announced in the london gazzete then you can match them to your guys ribbon bar!that how on another forum i had 3 ribbons bars ID;ed to the same admiral!il take a look myself tonight if i get a chance!
                      Last edited by paddywhack; 10-02-2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Here's the address for the Museum of the Royal Regiment of Fusileers, which of course includes history of the Warwicks, now a battalion of the RRF.

http://www.warwickfusiliers.co.uk/pa...ld_cb_dso_obe/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                          Would the tartan trousers be proper for this battledress tunic?

Bob Hritz
                          In all of the photos that I've seen, in many, many books, tartan trews were not worn with the battledress tunic; only with the Scottish cut khaki dress tunic, or dark blue undress tunic, both with the cutaway Scottish skirts.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Thank you, Robert. I wanted to make sure the tartan went with the King's Own Scottish Borderers 4 pocket major's tunic. The tartan pattern on the MacDonald battledress is the same pattern.

Bob Hritz

Comment

i think its a tunic to Major General John Frederick Matheson MacDonald the Kings own Scottish borders

so far i found the legion of merit C.B., D.S.O., O.B.E on the London gazette,he was in Normandy(so that would tie in with the France Germany star)and Korea,so i reckon its him

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lhcma/locreg/MACDONALD2.shtml

il see if i cant find the other 2 but the London gazette is a pure nightmare to use!
                              i also inverted the colours of the name tag and can only see MacDonald but i still thinks its your man!

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...pplements/5767 (his legion of merit gazette entry!)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X