Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P1907 Quillon help

Hey guys!

I was wondering if you could help me out regarding this bayo. Does it appear to be an original JAC 1907 w/ quillon? The date marked is 4'10. There is no hole in the pommel.
    Is it normal for the metal to appear bright? I have seen a few bayonets like this, but I'm definitely not an expert on the subject of militaria.

Thanks in advance for the help, much appreciated.
    Quinn

FROM WHAT i CAN SEE IN THE PICTURES THE QUILLON MAY HAVE BEEN ADDED TO ENHANCE VALUES. try TO PUT UNDER MAGNIFICATION AND LOOK AT THAT DARK SPOT

PAUL

Comment

Sadly, it appears that these 'hook quillons' are being faked to enhance the value of ordianry '07 bayonets. Can't comment on this one.

These bayonets appear in blued, 'Parkerized' and shiny versions, depending on the user I think. Some armies/ units wanted them dull and some shiny. Soldiers, especially NCOs are like magpies: they love 'shiny'!

When browned barrels first appeared on British Army muskets - Brown Bess -in the 1820s it was meant to preserve the barrels from rust without the danger of enthusiastic soldiers using wood ash and sand to literally polish the barrels away. Many regiments immediately scoured off all the browning and, in a few cases, then added their own colour/version of brown. Go figure! So, colour is not a very useful indicator of much, though in this case it may have been done to conceal weld marks.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for your opinions and comments guys. I'll ask the seller for more photos. Seller wants $150 Canadian... does this seem reasonable? There is no scabbard included.

Thanks,
        Quinn

Comment

if it is genuine that price is a steal for this type, but beware the price may tell you the rest of the story on this

Comment

It looks to be a legitmate piece. It has been over cleaned. The fine scratches on the blade are the result of either a wire wheel or steel wool. Even so at the asking price it is a steal.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! What are some clues for spotting a fake quillon? I am going to view the bayonet in person, and want to inspect it before purchase.

Thanks,
              Quinn

Ecit: Nevermind, the seller sold the knife today.... thanks for the help anyhow
              Last edited by matthewsq; 09-29-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

IMO the quillon on that bayonet is 100% original . All the fake ones I have encountered have been re blued to cover the weld blemish.

Comment

He who hesitates...

- Chris

Comment

I know-

Told the seller I'd buy it, he said he'd hold it... then tells me he sold it.
                    Problem for me is driving to go pick it up, I'm 16 and Canadian law states I can't drive myself around yet.

As soon as I get my license, hopefully I won't be disappointed in missing good sales again like this one.

Sigh

Oh well, to the next find

Quinn

Comment

Personally I would make some kind of arrangement to pick it up or have it delivered. At that price it would be worth a taxi ride to get it.

Where in Canada are you located?
                      Maybe another local member can help you out?

Cheers,
                      Brad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X