No announcement yet.

Combined Operations Patch - Info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely nobody, please send it to me for disposal.

Seriously that is a Royal Navy No 1 (ie best) uniform badge. See the previous pic of my stepfather, this is No.2 dress and the badges are red. No1 Dress the badges are gold. Gold badges were only worn on the right cuff so should only be found with the Thomas gun facing in the direction as on your badge.
    Some say the gold bullion badge did not exist. B*ll*cks.

Originally posted by VerKuilen Ager
    Who would have worn this one in bullion?

Comment

Then again, the Americans wore the Combined Ops patch in yellow on blue. I've seen this in all embroidered, bright yellow on bright blue, as illustrated in Rosignellis book on WWII badges, & I have one in dull yellow thred on dark blue felt, more like the British one. I'm not too sure on the originality of my patch (got it in the early '80s when you could'nt move for the shiny new looking red on blue patches). As this bullion badge is in the US, perhaps that's where it came from as a private purchase UA version rather than RN?

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
        As this bullion badge is in the US, perhaps that's where it came from as a private purchase UA version rather than RN?
        It's a possibility, though I think it's a slim one. The U.S. version had a distinctly blue background for the Army and a red background for the Navy. While bullion examples of the U.S. version are fairly scarce, they were made. However, every one I've ever seen retained the distinctive blue or red background, nowhere near as dark as the black/blue of the example I posted.

Besides the color difference, the U.S. changed the style of the eagle, making the wings quite a bit bigger. This bullion piece retains the British style eagle.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to post a genuine Combined Ops even if I have to go out & make one - this cut down tomb stone was given to me by a young lady herself an ex-Wren, whose parents served in the RN during WWII. It had been cut down for wear on a belt by mum or dad.
          I hesitate before saying that I got it about........1981.......
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

How about this uncut embroidered version:
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm fairly convinced that this is the real deal, however I would welcome any comments. It's very similar to the one Leigh has just posted.

Here's the reverse (it's been glued to a card at one point):
                Attached Files

Comment

Combind Ops Badges

HIYA , I agree with JIM on this ,bullion combind ops badges did exist war time , i have seen several on uniforms including a bullion example used as a cap badge ,worn by a WREN OFFICER, naval commando , beach units is an area i have developed a big interest in over the last few months , if any one can give me directions towards a book with units ,order of battle i will be very greatful , as i think there are very large gaps in the known ,regulations on this area of insignia . Best wishes ,Michael.
                  p.s a few badges i have ,
                  1 , printed version cut to shape ,
                  2, another but cut much smaller , this has been worn this size ??
                  3, a hand ` theatre made` example , regards ,Michael.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Naval Combind Ops Badge

ANOTHER PHOTO ....
                    Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
                    HIYA , I agree with JIM on this ,bullion combind ops badges did exist war time , i have seen several on uniforms including a bullion example used as a cap badge ,worn by a WREN OFFICER, naval commando , beach units is an area i have developed a big interest in over the last few months , if any one can give me directions towards a book with units ,order of battle i will be very greatful , as i think there are very large gaps in the known ,regulations on this area of insignia . Best wishes ,Michael.
                    p.s a few badges i have ,
                    1 , printed version cut to shape ,
                    2, another but cut much smaller , this has been worn this size ??
                    3, a hand ` theatre made` example , regards ,Michael.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Beach Signals

This photo section , is taken from a large unit photo of naval officers and men ` no16 R.N BEACH SIGNALS GROUP but only a few of them are wearing the COMBIND OPS BADGE ??? regards ,Michael.
                      Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
                      ANOTHER PHOTO ....
                      Attached Files

Comment

As an add-on to this discussion, some members may be interested in this new book:

"Beachhead Assault: The Story of the Royal Naval Commandos in World War II"
                        by David Lee.

Published by Greenhill Books ISBN 1853676195 Hardback £18.95 (?)

A good general history of these units, including many veteran interviews, a roll of gallantry medal winners and some excellent photos -including one of the Combined Ops badge being worn by an officer who appears to have trimmed it into a rectangular/square shape.

Hope this is of some interest, all the best

Paul.

Comment

Hello PAUL ,
                          many thanks for the `heads up ` on the book ,i did not know about this one ,thank you ,regards ,Michael.
                          Originally posted by Paul B
                          As an add-on to this discussion, some members may be interested in this new book:

"Beachhead Assault: The Story of the Royal Naval Commandos in World War II"
                          by David Lee.

Published by Greenhill Books ISBN 1853676195 Hardback £18.95 (?)

A good general history of these units, including many veteran interviews, a roll of gallantry medal winners and some excellent photos -including one of the Combined Ops badge being worn by an officer who appears to have trimmed it into a rectangular/square shape.

Hope this is of some interest, all the best

Paul.

Comment

Guys,

In case anyone wants an embroidered one with a glued back, ebay seller nsgumbi has one for sale!

Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X