WWI British Tankman's Armoured Face Mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI British Tankman's Armoured Face Mask

I've located one of these masks here locally and have been asked to make an offer on it. I've searched eBay and the the last one listed had a starting bid of $1,000.00, but went unsold.

This is the type of mask pictured on page 186/187 of Haselgrove and Radovic's book Helmets of the First World War and also in Martin Windrows book Tank and AFV Crew Uniforms Since 1916, page 8.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the current value of one of these masks? Mask is in very good condition, complete, including tie straps.

DaveG

Tank Crew Masks

Any where between £350 - £650. It depends on the condition.

Remember these masks are not exclusive to British troops they were also worn by Canadians and some French troops.

Be careful of replacement links and replaced straps. The strap does not matter too much. The leather is of course of paramount importance.

Masks in excellent condition will still retain the original finish on the metal eye slits.

I have seen a number of relic masks appear on Ebay....be careful your not buying a refurbished example.

Steve.

Comment

..value !!

Value about £350 at present though one went for about $800 on ebay.
      and i back up what the other Steve states !! be careful and dont waste your money if links or straps have been messed with.

cheers
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
        Any where between £350 - £650. It depends on the condition.

Remember these masks are not exclusive to British troops they were also worn by Canadians and some French troops.

Be careful of replacement links and replaced straps. The strap does not matter too much. The leather is of course of paramount importance.

Masks in excellent condition will still retain the original finish on the metal eye slits.

I have seen a number of relic masks appear on Ebay....be careful your not buying a refurbished example.

Steve.

I have been watching this auction but am not bidding due to the current bid ($1,500 US) and because the seller has a lot of negative feedback over the past two years. Anyway, is there a way to tell if the straps are original, or if the chains have been replaced or modified (on this particular mask or in general)? I know that there are also repros being sold on ebay but the photos aren't good enough to make a comparison. In short, what should I look for in the future to be sure I buy an original tank mask and avoid a refurbished or repro? Thanks!

Comment

If you do a search of the forum you'll see pics of originals. I have one and posted it for review. I have been offered $1000 for mine but that was a few years ago.

Comment

There is an English seller who sells reproductions that are basically the same as originals ,so far he has sold 3 on ebay I have photos of all of them . I paid £1000 for mine lol but I love it ., it was probably me who offered you $1000 .

Here is a photo of one of his repos . Rob
            Attached Files
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

http://www.walhalla.se/topic/36556-w...2Btank+%2Bmask

A link for you . Rob
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I have not seen an original at less than £800 for a long time.

Cheers Adam

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post

I note that the stitching is a red flag, but again it's difficult to see details in those lousy photos of the repros. If someone has a repro would you be willing to post detailed photos? I just can't stomach spending all of that money without more information. What about the ebay auction yesterday? Was that one real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-British-...vip=true&rt=nc

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Harland View Post
                    I have not seen an original at less than £800 for a long time.

Cheers Adam
                    That's discouraging, though I'm willing to spend that on a good, original example.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X