ww1 era leather horse mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ww1 era leather horse mask

This is certainly an unusual post to make but i hope some will find it interesting. I live in a rural area and by chance a local farmer called with me one day to show me a leather horse face and mouth mask that he had lying out in one of his barns.I believe the item was used on horses used by the Royal Field Artillery.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alan63; 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM.

Various stamps

It has various stamps and dates.To the front of the main mask is the letter L and below that is a faded stamp and year date which i belive is 1900 or 1909.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alan63; 09-12-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

more stamps

year stamp with feint makers stamp above it
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Alan63; 09-12-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Royal Field Artillery

the lower mouth piece has the stamp of the RFA imposed over another year stamp which i believe is 1909
        Attached Files

Comment

Ww1

The mask is in overall very good condition and if anyone could put me in touch with amy pictures of the mask in use would be appreciated.

Comment

Alan

Very interesting! never seen such a thing. Why do you think Field Artillery? I might have been more tempted to say protection for cavalry mounts, though I've never seen a picture of one before. Somewhat more likely, IMO is something issued to mounted troops - Military Police? - doing riot duty.
            Modern police horses wear plexiglass face shields and I recall reading of one of the nastier strikes in the early 1900s in which police mounts were slashed with razors, so perhaps it was for that. If its meant to stop shell fragments, for example, wouldn't it wrap round the head more?

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X