Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P07 Enfield bayonet scabbard questions.

Hello,

I have 2 bayonets, one dated May 1918 and the other October 1918.

The stud frog on one of the scabbards has a tear drop shape while the other is round.

Did different makers have different pattern frog studs or was this changed in a certain year?

The tear drop scabbard is stamped RE, below that is a crown maybe and below that the number 17 or 47. The bayonet is from Sanderson and doesn't look like it was ever issued.

The round frog stud scabbard is stamped with a crown, below that is 2D and below that is R I think. The bayonet itself is from Wilkinson.

Any info is much appreciated.

Tony

Hi
    I know that the tear drop one is rare
    but i can't give you a date sorry

Comment

Hi Tony,

I think the round stud is WWII era while the tear drop is WWI. I have a really nice 1918 Australian made one that has a WWII era Australian made scabbard. This is pretty common as they were put to use in WWII and may have needed a new leather scabbard. I have a good book on Enfields and it covers some of the bayonets. I'll take a look and see if I can find anything about the markings on yours. The 17 I bet is 1917 and the RI might be Ishapor(sp?) India but I'm rusty on that. I'll post again in a day or two after I look them up.

Tim

Comment

According to British and Commonwealth Bayonets by Skennerton the round frog stud was approved 19th Nov. 1915 as a wartime economy. He further states that it was a relaxation in standard and may not be found on all bayonets manufactured after this time. Also the edges of the chape and locket may be found straight or curved.
        Hope this helps,
        Jim

Comment

Brodie, Tim & Jim,

Thanks a bunch for the info so far. I'd be pleased if the tear drop scabbard is rare.

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony,

I've got Ian Skennerton's "The Lee-Enfield Story". I got this Enfield Bible from him at a show. I didn't find anything helpful on maker marks for bayonets. The RI I thought might be Indian is really RFI for Rifle Factory Ishapore. I new it sounded familiar, I have a couple SMLE's and did some research on them a while ago.

If the Skennerton bayonet book Jim mentioned is anything like his Lee-Enfield book, it's the must be good.

The codes should be pretty easy to look up. In fact, through the beauty of the internet, it just took 10 seconds to get an answer. I went to google and did a search for "1907 pattern bayonet codes" and presto, the first hit was this Markings on British and Commonwealth Bayonets.

Tim

Comment

Hello Tim,

Thanks very much. I too searched the internet but didn't use the word codes.

I just typed in Lee Enfield bayonet and and although the pages I found were very interesting, I gave up searching after about 2 hours or so.

Thanks again.

Tony

Comment

http://thearmouryonline.co.uk/Identification.htm

Shows some of the marks with explanations, there is a better site, but can't remember at the mo.

Comment

Thanks to you too Jim, you've been a great help.

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X