AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm stumped - thoughts on unusual Denison smock please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
    REPO smock .

owen
    I'm with Owen on this one.Label looks like the standard John Gordon & Sons repro and those anodized zips and press studs are cheap and modern.

Comment

Hi Mattew, the smock is deffinately not a real Denison that is for sure so sorry . As for other countries ,this would need some references searching but have a look , it just maybe , the trouble is that so many bad repos have been manufactured over the years as previously stated and I have to agree with some of the others that this is one of those , just glad you didn't pay to much

Comment

Here's a few camouflaged items.

Luc

Comment

Could be a washed out / used one of these...

http://64.37.66.136/~wephaus/proddetail.php?prod=313412

Comment

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I was certainly not expecting this to turn out to be an original wartime Denison so no disappointments there. And, as already stated, it didn't cost me much to begin with.

So it seems this may well be a repro smock, trying hard to be a Denison, but making a real mess of both patterns. Thanks Jack for the link - this is certainly the closest repro smock I have seen but still with several differences. Given the years I have had this (at least 4 or 5) maybe it was an early attempt from some manufacturer. If anyone recognises the offending maker please let us know!

Thanks also to Luc. I couldn't find any smocks on that site close to matching mine, either in design or camo pattern. But that link has some great material, especially as I know very little about modern camo items.

Keep the opinions coming.

Matthew

Comment

i'm no expert ( a modeler rather than a collector), but the camo pattern on yours looks to be the same print as the one from 'wephaus'- some of the shapes are identical. either way, a rather ugly smock, especially the colours... hope you didnt spend too much.....

cheers,
              rob

Comment

These came out about eight years ago I think. I can't remember who made them but they were advertised In the armourer I seem to remember and could be bought on ebay for around sixty pounds. .

If this Is one of these smocks It has been heavilly washed to tone down the Inks; when new the cloth was stiff with rubber based ink, stank and was virtually day glo. I think they were printed and assembled In India, the thing that really stuck in my mind was the use of a buttonholer for the vents.

They weren't available for very long and I suspect only one run was made. Hardly suprising as they don't look great.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed comments, Guy. If you are correct that this brand of smock was only available for a short time (and, yes, I can see why!) that explains why I had no luck finding a similar example in my searches. The Wephaus link Jack posted seems to be the closest one yet, with several small differences.

The overall colour is still very yellowish compared to originals and this smock was already well washed by the sounds of it. At least there is no horrible smell anymore.

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by Beau Brummel. View Post
                    These came out about eight years ago I think. I can't remember who made them but they were advertised In the armourer I seem to remember and could be bought on ebay for around sixty pounds. .

If this Is one of these smocks It has been heavilly washed to tone down the Inks; when new the cloth was stiff with rubber based ink, stank and was virtually day glo. I think they were printed and assembled In India, the thing that really stuck in my mind was the use of a buttonholer for the vents.

They weren't available for very long and I suspect only one run was made. Hardly suprising as they don't look great.

Yours, Guy.
                    Was this the so called 'Sanjay smock?'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X