The ANZAC "A"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ANZAC "A"

The ANZAC "A" was worn by all Gallipoli veterans as an official badge over their shoulder unit insignia. The official order for wearing these badges was passed in November 1917, however in 1918 units who served on various Islands such Lemnos not far from the peninsula also qualified.

Early issue badges were supplied by the unit out of that units funds. It wasnt until November 1917 that they were manufactured and supplied by Australian Ordinance.

These brass A's have always been treasured items to the Veterans and looked upon as items of great respect. Gallipoli as we all know was not a walk in the park for the Australian and New Zealand units that served.

These were more often than not issued in pairs. Unfortunatley, I have never been able to track down a matching pair but I did acquire this single example a few years ago.

The unit badge is for the Australian Flying Corps. The man who wore this badge served in an Infantry Battalion before joining the AFC.

Very nice one m8
    and yeah they are hard to find

Comment

Awsome mate, thanks for that.

Comment

HIYA , very nice badge you have , yep..... i have never seen a pair ,....... come to think of it i cant remeber the last time i saw one at an arms fair ,???
        regards,Michael.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X