Mvo4 ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mvo4 ????

Saw this and did not recognize. Case is titled MVO4... can anyone ID/place a value for me? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Its the Royal Victorian Order.

Steve.

Comment

That is the Member 4th Class of the Royal Victorian Order, unusual in that it does not follow the normal UK convention for 4th class decorations in being called the Officer class. Apparently, this caused enough confusion to get the class renamed a few years back to Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order (LVO), while the 5th class is still called Member (MVO). Most of these were made by Collingwood from my experience. The backs, BTW, are numbered and theoretically traceable. However, insignia was occasionally "recycled" when possible and given to multiple recipients.

Founded in 1902, the Royal Victorian Order is essentially a House Order and is entirely at the Royal family's discretion - that is, the Sovereign has total control over who gets what class. Apparently, it has a checkered history, as Edward VII had a particular liking to handing the RVO out a lot. George V was a bit more judicious in his bestowals.

As for value, not sure nowadays. I paid $300 for my cased MVO 4th class several years ago. When I have a chance, I'll post my MVO 4th class in a case...

Hope this helps!
      Eric
      Last edited by eschena; 08-10-2004, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Here's mine. This is the obverse:
        Last edited by eschena; 09-13-2006, 04:30 AM.

Comment

...and the reverse, numbered 1056:

Comment

...and finally, the maker's imprint on the inside lid of the case:

Comment

Thanks!!

Hi Eric, thanks for your help!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X